Home Arts & Lit Arts Recommend : highlights of 2013, National Geographic Photography Contest and more…

Arts Recommend : highlights of 2013, National Geographic Photography Contest and more…

272

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1. The Independent’s arts highlights of the year

Click here to see The Independent’s arts highlights of the year, including the opening of The Shed, the National Theatre’s temporary performance space on London’s South Bank.

2. National Geographic Photography Contest

“A polar bear peers up from beneath the melting sea ice on Hudson Bay as the setting midnight sun glows red from the smoke of distant fires during a record-breaking spell of hot weather. The Manitoba population of polar bears, the southernmost in the world, is particularly threatened by a warming climate and reduced sea ice.” Photo and caption by Paul Souders

The winners of the annual National Geographic Photo Contest were announced last week, and the photographs are breathtaking. Over 7000 people entered from over 150 countries, submitting work in three categories: nature, people and place. There is also a ‘Grand-Prize Winner’ which is  the best photograph out of all three, shown above. Click here to see all of the winners.

3. Colossal’s top 15 posts of 2013

From sandwich bag illustrations to flexible paper sculptures, the art and visual ingenuity blog Colossal has shared some incredible things in the past year. Check out their top posts of 2013 here.

4. SELLOUT @ The Northcott

SELLOUT is new political play about the higher education system which tells the story of the “ever-distorting relationship between students’ discovery of new knowledge and institutions’ attainment of league-table profiles”. Written by a graduate and ex-visiting tutor of the Drama department, this play explores relevant and interesting issues for those in university. There is a script-in-hand reading at the Northcott Theatre on 24th January, and tickets can be purchased here.

5. If Only For a Second

This video ‘If Only For a Second’ speaks for itself, watch it below.

Giverny Masso and Bryony James

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.