Home News £50m Living Systems Institute project loses contractor

£50m Living Systems Institute project loses contractor

324
How the building is hoped to look upon completion. Image credit: Express & Echo

The University of Exeter is looking for a new contractor to build its £50m Living Systems Institute after an amicable split with Wates Construction, the firm it appointed last year.

Campus bosses said they had reached a mutual decision with Wates Construction not to proceed with the project. It comes after ongoing discussions failed to find a way to deliver the University’s requirements within the allocated budget.

Hugh McCann, Director of Estate Development at the University, said: “We have done all we can to work in partnership with Wates and despite the fact we’ve been unable to reach an agreement this time, we are parting on very good terms.”

Gary Campbell-Dykes, business unit director for Wates Construction, Southern Home Counties, said: “We have worked closely with the University of Exeter to resolve the outstanding issues however, despite the best efforts of everyone concerned, this wasn’t possible. We look forward to working with the university again in the future.”

Wates was appointed to the project through the Construction Framework South West in March last year. The contractor is currently delivering enabling works for the project and will cease site activity once these are complete at the end of January.

The Living Systems Institute is designed to be an interdisciplinary building to understand “how diseases evolve and how they can be diagnosed more accurately and cured more effectively”, according to the University’s website.

David Summers, a graduate from the University of Exeter in English, said “hopefully they can get this valuable project back on track soon.”

Rich Dabrowski, News Team