Home Arts & Lit Preview: Spring Awakening

Preview: Spring Awakening

243

1011972_10152040304146919_287085995_nExeter University’s Shotgun Theatre take on The Tony Award winning hit musical ‘Spring Awakening’ at the Exeter Phoenix from 21st- 23rd January.

This proud feat for Shotgun Theatre has pushed all boundaries of what they thought could be achieved when they first started as a small company in Kay house in 2010. Spring Awakening promises to be far bolder than any previous show, with an air of professionalism that wouldn’t go amiss on a touring production. However the quirkiness that is the soul of Shotgun is still rightly there, captured beautifully in Director’s Genevive Skehan debut. The magic is created by the fantastic cast, lead by First year Drama Student Hannah Bloom and Second year Physics Student Jonathan Leigh.

Spring Awakening is a musical that delves into the confusing and somewhat tumultuous nature of sexual discovery. Set in 1891 Germany, Spring Awakening illustrates the youthful desperation for an understanding of the adult world, conflicted by the deception and misguidance of parents as they attempt to maintain their children’s innocence. The narrative follows Wendla, a fourteen year old teenager confronted by the darker side of this world when she embarks on a damaging sexual relationship with the rebellious Melchior. A powerful story of intimacy, abuse and trauma, Spring Awakening will show you power of youth and the danger of rebellion.

There will be three performances from the 21st-23rd January at the Exeter Phoenix. Tickets can be found here at £10 (£8 concessions).

Tim Bradbeer 

The event is strictly 16+ as some themes may be unsuitable for children.