Home News Research Uncovered lecture series begins

Research Uncovered lecture series begins

352

RU_WebBannerThe Research Uncovered lecture series began this week after students nominated and voted the most inspiring pieces of research they have come across while studying at the University of Exeter.

The researchers who received the most votes will be presenting open lectures across this term. Monday night say Professor David Boughey from the Business School deliver the first of these lectures, “Adventurous Capitalists and the Forging of Multinational Enterprise“.

The next lecture will be Prof. Tim Harries from Astronomy on The Birth of Stars, 27th January 6pm – 8pm.

The lectures are open to all students as well as the local community with five lectures in the Alumni Auditorium, one in an Exeter community centre and one in Penryn.

Vice President for Academic Affairs, Alex Louch told Exeposé: “Research Uncovered is a celebration of the world-class research being produced by the outstanding academics at the University and represents the fantastic partnership that exists between staff, students and the Students’ Guild. We know that our students value their relationship with the research community at Exeter and the Guild is keen to bring students even closer to innovative research.

Research Uncovered offers students – as well as staff and local residents – the opportunity to connect with research in more depth or from disciplines other than their own. I am excited by the success of the scheme so far this year and I am looking forward to seeing the lecture series progress.”

The Research Uncovered lecture series is based on the success of the “FRUNI” (Free Range University) series across 2012/13. The initiative saw Exeter join with similar institutions across the UK to open the most inspirational research at the university to all.

During the FRUNI lecture series, 350 students submitted nominations or voted for the research that they found most exciting. The following five lectures received the most votes and were delivered to more than 1000 people in total.

To find out more about the lecture series and the lecture schedule, head to the Students’ Guild website.

Olivia Luder, Online Editor