Arts Recommend: Self Portraits with a difference, a treehouse hotel, and more...

Arts Recommend: Self Portraits with a difference, a treehouse hotel, and more …

259

Every week we bring you our special selection of all things arty. From interesting websites to highly anticipated performances for your diary, there is something to spark all kinds of creative interest.

1. From Devon With Love Festival

Image credit: Joint Venture theatre company

From Devon with Love is three weeks of theatre from locally based companies, using the finest creative juices, fresh from our green and inspiring county, at the Bike Shed Theatre.”

There are some interesting plays on offer, ranging from Scratchwork Theatre’s A Fool’s Proof, exploring how the media spin the story of a young girl who falls into a well shaft, to Eye Level Theatre Company’s Consent, which follows the story of a British Porn actress accusing her co-star of rape.

We also like the look of Joint Venture’s productions. About the Book questions the promises of the multiple self-help books available, and 30 takes “a personal look at the on-going feud between Arctic activists, global governments and international oil giants.”

We would highly recommend that you have a look at what is on offer in the fantastic line up by clicking here, then escape from your university bubble and take a trip to The Bike Shed one evening next week.

2.  Double Self Portraits

“London-based Japanese photographer Chino Otsuka explores the harsh truth of time lapse in her highly nostalgic and heartwarming series “Imagine Finding Me”. Otsuka took old photos from her childhood and adolescence and put pictures of her present self in them, creating bittersweet double self-portraits.

The work was done marvelously well. The two figures seems so natural being together in cool melancholy, as if the artist has gone back in time to meet her younger self.” (Demilked)

1976 + 2005, Japan Image credit: Chino Otsuka via Demilked
1976 + 2005, Japan
Image credit: Chino Otsuka via Demilked

See the full article with many more of these self-portraits here on Demilked.

Repurpose an old picture frame as a serving tray Image credit: Camp Granma via Glamumous.co.uk
Repurpose an old picture frame as a serving tray
Image credit: Camp Granma via Glamumous.co.uk

3. 101 household tips for every room in your home

We love this list filled with great tips selected from all over the internet for your home.

“From time-saving tricks to finding new and ingenious uses for old things” – if you fancy making a few changes to your house or room for the new term, or just want to be inspired some some creative ingenuity then check out this list.

Not all of the tips are arty, some are just plainly useful, but here are a few that we like:

Organize jewellery on a cork board for easy viewing when deciding how to accessorize an outfit

To decorate a chocolate beautifully, lay a piece of lace over the cake and sprinkle icing sugar over the top. – See more at: http://www.glamumous.co.uk/2013/03/101-household-tips-for-every-room-in.html#sthash.0OK6bMFv.dpuf

To decorate a chocolate beautifully, lay a piece of lace over the cake and sprinkle icing sugar over the top.

Read the full list here at Glamumous.

Organize jewellery on a corkboard for easy viewing when deciding how to accessorize an outfit – See more at: http://www.glamumous.co.uk/2013/03/101-household-tips-for-every-room-in.html#sthash.0OK6bMFv.dpuf
From time-saving tricks to finding new and ingenious uses for old things, the Internet provides a wealth of information and advice. – See more at: http://www.glamumous.co.uk/2013/03/101-household-tips-for-every-room-in.html#sthash.0OK6bMFv.dpuf

4. Tree house hotel

This hotel in Sweden is any treehouse lover’s dream. Founders Britta and Kent “combined avant-garde design with nature and got some amazing results.”

The Treehotel has five rooms, each with a completely different design. To see pictures of all of the rooms read the full article here on ViralNova.

Image credit: treehotel.se
Image credit: treehotel.se

5. An actor playing Peter Pan proposes live on stage to his Wendy

During the performance of a Peter Pan musical, actor Sandor Sturbl interrupted the show to ask his girlfriend, Lilly-Jane Young, who played Wendy, to marry him in front of a live audience in Lilly’s home town of Glasgow.

Giverny Masso and Bryony James

Visit the University of Exeter Arts and Culture website here.