Home Arts & Lit ‘Side splittingly hilarious’ comedy festival coming to Exeter this month

‘Side splittingly hilarious’ comedy festival coming to Exeter this month

501

Are you a fan of comedy? If so then find out what the 2014 Laugh Out Loud festival, coming to Exeter late January, has to offer.

Laugh Out Loud, Exeter’s annual comedy festival, returns with another incredible lineup. A host of big name and well-known comedians will be flocking to Exeter at the end of January/start of February for the simple purpose of making everyone Laugh Out Loud.

High profile names performing at Exeter Phoenix include standups Miles Jupp, Sean Hughes and Alex Horne. They will be joined by Rob Newman, Festival of the Spoken Nerd, Paul Sinha and Mitch Benn, completing Exeter Phoenix’s line-up for this year’s festival.

Festival of the Spoken Nerd Image credit: Exeter Phoenix
Festival of the Spoken Nerd
Image credit: Exeter Phoenix

A number of other comedians will perform at a variety of venues across Exeter during the two-week extravaganza of comedy. Other venues include The Bike Shed, Exeter Northcott Theatre, Exeter Corn Exchange, Thirst and the City Gate Hotel.

Image credit: Exeter Phoenix
Image credit: Exeter Phoenix

Exeter Phoenix’s lineup is particularly exciting this year as it includes Perrier Award winner Sean Hughes’ new show Penguins that received critical acclaim and hosted packed out audiences when at last year’s Edinburgh Fringe.

The comedy phenomenon Festival of the Spoken Nerd will bring together experiments, songs and stand-up to create a night of comedy and curiosity. The Guardian: “Charm and perky curiosity is in its DNA.”

Paul Sinha, best known as ‘The Sinnerman’ from ITV’s The Chase, will perform the kind of show that only a qualified GP and proud quiz geek can.

Beatles fans will undoubtedly enjoy Mitch Benn whose stand-up show combines his Scouse upbringing with his love of music and lifelong obsession with Liverpool’s most famous sons. “Anyone who likes music, hates Simon Cowell and likes learning new things will love it” CHORTLE ****

Rob Newman is making a hotly anticipated return to comedy with his first complete show in 7 years. New Theory of Evolution describes the 150 year controversy in evolutionary theory and explores how the latest science demonstrates that DNA is not destiny. With jokes.

Alex Horne performs new show Lies which he says will include, ‘a panda, some jokes and some lies. Although one of those may also be a lie.’

Miles Jupp, famous for Rev and The Thick Of It, performs his first live show since 2012 and tickets have already sold out.

More information about this year’s Laugh Out Loud can be found at the festival website www.lolexeter.com or from the Exeter Phoenix website www.exeterphoenix.org.uk or by contacting the box office on 01392 667080.

Andy Pulleyn