Home News Man who passed away after being discovered in laundrette identified

Man who passed away after being discovered in laundrette identified

1446
Image credit: Exeter Express and Echo
Image credit: Exeter Express and Echo

A man who passed away shortly after being discovered “slumped” in an Exeter laundrette has been identified as Paul Roberts.

Neighbourhood officers found the deceased 52 year-old in a state of cardiac arrest, unconscious and not breathing in the laundrette on Well Street at approximately 12.30 Saturday 11 January.

The officers performed CPR for 20 minutes before the paramedics arrived.

Mr Roberts was then taken to Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital, but was pronounced dead soon after.

A manslaughter probe has since been sparked, and two men have been arrested.

A 38 year-old male from Exeter was arrested on suspicion of manslaughter, while the other, 44 years old, is suspected to have supplied a Class A drug.

Despite these suspicions, the two men have been released on bail until February 27 as the police continue their investigations.

Well Street, located behind the Odeon Cinema, is said to be a popular area for students and homeless people. It is believed that Mr Roberts was homeless.

Readers of the Express and Echo have posted their sympathies on the local newspaper’s Facebook page.

One commenter wrote: “I was here around this time and its quiet [sic] upsetting I know some of the homeless and they’re great people if you get to know some of them RIP x”

Another claimed that he was “once a great sports man with a large family around him. Bad things happen in people’s lives and not everyone is strong enough to get through it without turning to drink as a way out”.

Other members of the community seem to know him as “Pete”, as he “was always asking for 3p, hence 3p Pete. RIP”.

Ryan Davies described Mr Roberts as his “best friend”, adding: “I miss him so much and I don’t know what I am going to do without him.”

Investigations are continuing, and the police urge anyone with any information to contact them on 101, quoting reference number: DE14/360.

Fiona Potigny, News Team