Home News Hercules returns: New storm set to batter Devon

Hercules returns: New storm set to batter Devon

450
Image credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image credit: Niklas Rahmel

A storm dubbed “Hercules Take Two” is set to hit the South West this weekend.

A yellow grade severe weather warning has been issued for Friday, Saturday and Sunday by the Met Office, who warn of heavy rain and high winds.

The storm – also labelled as “Hercules the Sequel” by surf forecast site Magic Seaweed owing to its “similarly apocalyptic” nature to a the St Jude Storm earlier this month – will reach its pinnacle on Saturday, at which point gusts of up to 70mph are expected.

An overlap with high spring tides has also resulted in the forecast of waves of up to 30ft hitting the southwest coast every 19 seconds at the peak of the storm.

A spokesperson for the Met Office added that these waves “could overtop coastlines. The public should be aware of these hazards.”

Falmouth coastguards have issued a warning advising people to keep clear of harbour rocks to avoid any unnecessary risks.

Flooding has now become a significant concern, and coastal towns and villages are arranging sandbags in preparation.

As temperatures are due to drop, there is a possibility that some showers may turn to sleet with a chance of snow. There is the possibility of ice on roads and pavements, and take particular care when travelling to and from campus.

Chris Rootkin, VP Welfare & Diversity: “If you are planning to go out or travel this weekend, check the weather forecast as it is updated so you can take sensible precautions. Avoid unnecessary journeys during stormy weather, it is better to be safe than sorry”.

The forecast come after yesterday’s findings that January 2014 has been the wettest on record since 1995 with 222.6mm of rainfall. This falls just 21.7mm shy of the 1948 regional rainfall record in 1948 of 244.3mm.

Fiona Potigny, News Team 

Exeposé News Editor 2015/16. All about that scoop, with a mega love of all that is culture, current affairs, fashion, feminism, philology... and FOIs. Puns make me very, very happy.