Home Election Fun Elections Week: The story so far in tweets and pictures

Elections Week: The story so far in tweets and pictures

593

Another day of campaigning is drawing to a close but for the candidates there’s a long way to go still until Friday’s results show. Here we compile a selection of the tweets and pictures that sum up Elections Week so far…

On Sunday night it was the start of Xpression FM’s live debates and first under the spotlight were the wannabes for Vice President Education.

After a mixed reaction to the opening debate, the countdown was on to Monday morning and the opening of the polls!

The tough part had begun for the candidates…could they actually get tired, grumpy and cold students to absorb their ideas before a 9am lecture?

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

For some campaigning could sometimes feel disheartening…

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

But others managed to keep their spirits up! Perhaps sometimes wearing a crazy t-shirt is enough to stay positive…

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

And despite the biting cold weather which forced sensible campaigners to wrap up warm…

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

There were smiles all round…

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

Besides, why be cold, when you could be cool?

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

After all, this elections and campaigning stuff was child’s play really…

Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel
Image Credit: Niklas Rahmel

But not everyone was keen to play along…

Even singing can be annoying!

Twitter is wise though – is there really a hassle free form of democracy and worthwhile representation?

We’d got a bit of a debate going…isn’t the next tweet right too? It shouldn’t be about who can raise the biggest army on campus?

But everyone had valid points and surely all forms of engagement with issues that matter to students is a good thing…

Monday’s campaigning culminated in another Xpression FM debate chaired by Exeposé Editor Meg Drewett. This time the candidates for VP Welfare and Diversity prepared to do conversational battle…

It’s easy to forget about the world beyond Elections Week. As the start of the debate approached, other university news rumbled on. Significant stuff, too, as a group of students held an occupation in Queen’s Building to protest at the privatisation of student loans. Will 2014’s  new crop of Sabbs have to deal with further occupations and the growing financial worries of Exeter students?

It was on with the matter in hand though…

With so many candidates the debate was full of content and fast moving. All 8 identified Wellbeing as a key issue, with several citing Exeposé’s recent investigation into waiting times and emergency funding. Other topics were dealt with though, including Blurred Lines, Page 3, housing and…

Everyone seemed passionate about the responsibilities of the role. Praise came in on Twitter for the moral stance of each and every candidate…

But some eye-catching policies garnered more attention than others…

At the end, the debate was close to call. After frenetic typing from the team throughout, Exeposé summed everything up for you in our post-broadcast report. And there was a chance to vote on who you thought was the most impressive candidate!

On Tuesday there were more non-election BREAKING news stories on campus, of the utmost importance. We brought them to you, quick as a flash…

What can we say? Some mysteries demand investigation…and elections coverage can lead to excessive tiredness and delusions…

As I type, the VP Activities debate, again broadcast by Xpression FM,  is minutes away from starting. Student democracy waits for no man (or woman!). 

And so it continues…

Our coverage will continue throughout the week, so keep an eye on our election hub, as well as Facebook and Twitter

Liam Trim, Online Editor