Home News Chinese New Year celebrations on campus this weekend

Chinese New Year celebrations on campus this weekend

342

This weekend the University of Exeter’s Chinese Student Scholars Association (CSSA) are coordinating a series of events across the city and on Streatham Campus.

Image Credit: St James Forum
Image Credit: St James Forum

In Bedford Square (next to Debenhams and Costa) in the city centre there will be traditional dancing at 1pm on Saturday 8 February, featuring dragons and lions, to usher in the year of the horse.

This will be followed at 3pm by more traditional dragon and lion dancing in the Forum, along with a Chinese Market, food, martial arts demonstrations and additional performances and activities.

The celebrations will finish with a bang courtesy of a firework display at 6pm, to be viewed from the Business School’s XFI Building.

According to the University of Exeter’s website there are regularly more than 2000 attendees at the annual event. International Society President Matin Ng Chin Liang confirmed that the festivities are always extremely popular but he told Exeposé ‘we are really keen for more local students to attend events like this, they sometimes do not know about them’.

On Sunday, to continue the programme of events, there will be a Chinese Spring Festival Evening Performance at the Northcott Theatre, again organised by the CSSA. The entire evening’s performance will be in the Chinese language of Mandarin. The show starts at 7pm and tickets are available from the Student’s Guild Box Office, or directly from the CSSA.

Liam Trim, Online Editor