Home Comment 4 reasons to hate the Forum revolving doors

4 reasons to hate the Forum revolving doors

12027

Nick Best gives his top four reasons why people’s use of the Forum’s revolving doors is so infuriating.

1) They go too fast to get in.

I have had to abort or delay many uses of the revolving doors because they are spinning too fast. It is handy to find the doors revolving as it saves you pushing as hard but on some occasions it is spinning too fast. This makes it perilous and risky to attempt to pass through them as you fear being whacked and knocked about. I know people are eager to get to wherever they need to be but people should try and consider others.

2) People pushing them the wrong way, despite arrows!

The most frustrating thing about the revolving doors is the people who seem unable to use them properly. They try and push them in the opposite direction to other users causing great confusion and bemusement. This is despite the fact that arrows have been put up to show people what way to push. I find it surprising that intelligent students at a leading university cannot follow simple instructions.

3) People squeezing into one segment.

Without a doubt the most infuriating thing about these doors is when other people try and squeeze into the same segment as you as you push round. Surely I am not the only one to find it maddening and rude when a complete stranger pushes you forward and continues to bump into you as you move round. Have people not heard of personal space? Is it really that hard to wait one second for the next available to appear? But of course, being British, I am too polite to complain to the offender and suppress any wish to see capital punishment returned for such crimes!

4) People using the disabled door instead.

The final reason that the revolving doors are annoying is that they stand empty and motionless for much of the time. People insist on squeezing through the button operated disabled doors, that is if the buttons are working! It can be easier to not use them if the disabled door is already open and ‘traffic’ is flowing. But it seems a waste of money and resources to have doors that nobody likes to use. Maybe people are too lazy to push them and prefer automated and button operated doors?

Photo Credit: Daquella manera via Compfight cc
“It seems that all types of doors have significant drawbacks and we are probably stuck with these revolving ones for the significant future.”

I can’t help but think that perhaps some large automatic sliding doors would be more appropriate for the forum, although they would let the cold in whilst open. It seems that all types of doors have significant drawbacks and we are probably stuck with these revolving ones for the significant future. The best we can hope for is that people learn how to use revolving doors properly. Maybe offers to prospective students should be conditional on it?

Nick Best

What do you think of the Forum revolving doors? Is there anything else that really annoys you on campus? Leave a comment below or write to the Comment team at the Exeposé Comment Facebook Group or on Twitter @CommentExepose.

2 COMMENTS

1. Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness to your submit is simply excellent and i can assume you are knowledgeable in this
    subject. Well together with your permission allow me to
    clutch your feed to keep updated with impending post.
    Thanks one million and please carry on the enjoyable work.