Home News Everyday Sexism founder speaks to Exeter students

Everyday Sexism founder speaks to Exeter students

1259

Screen Shot 2014-02-13 at 12.24.44On Friday 31 January Laura Bates, the founder of the Everyday Sexism Project, spoke to Exeter students about sexism and her experiences as a feminist writer.  The talk, which was held in the Newman Collaborative Theatre, was presented by Labour Students and Gender Equality Society.  The thirty-minute talk was followed by a Q and A session.

The Everyday Sexism Project was founded in April 2012 and is a collection of over 25,000 testimonies of women’s daily, experiences of gender inequality, from 15 different countries. Anyone can submit an entry directly to the site, or by email or Twitter. Laura currently writes for the Guardian, the Independent, and the Huffington Post. She is also a contributor at Women Under Siege, a New York-based project working to combat the use of sexualised violence as a tool of war.

Lauren Kay-Lambert, Head of Social Action for Exeter Labour Students, said: “I’d say that the reason why I arranged for Laura to come and speak was that, like her, it was only in the last couple of years that I fully understood what feminism meant. The Everyday Sexism Project has created a new wave of feminism; one that can be controversial to many, but also one that is very important to highlight and share with people. For me, feminism has lost it’s original meaning- simply, that it means gender equality, and I think it is important to try and restore faith in this definition of the word”.

Olivia Luder, third year English student, also commented: “As a young female student, Everyday Sexism is something I unfortunately often relate to, and I think Laura Bates is bringing light to a very important issue”.

Clara Plackett, Deputy Editor