Home News Diversity Month and International Sport Month: What’s on?

Diversity Month and International Sport Month: What’s on?

359

Exeposé bring you the full calendar of events for the University of Exeter’s Diversity Month, which this year overlaps and collaborates with International Sport Month, International Women’s Day and Mental Health Awareness Week. 

Diversity Month 2014 aims to build on the success of 2013’s Diversity Week to promote cultural cohesiveness through fun recreational events.

This year Exeter’s diverse student population will be encouraged to participate in International Sport Month through events put on by the Athletic Union. A packed programme of tasters and tournaments kicked-off yesterday with the Grecian Shield football tournament and it continues this week, with tasters in volleyball, korfball and archery available, as well as a volleyball tournament. You can sign up for these events (and more!) at the AU office or sports park reception.

International Sport Month runs from the 16th of February to the 16th of March and other highlights will include the (unfortunately postponed) Rugby Varsity, the Swimming Varsity, a basketball tournament and a golf taster session.

International Women’s Day is on Thursday the 6th of March and this will be just one of many days dedicated to promoting equality and inclusion on campus.

On Tuesday the 11th the Diversity Fair takes over the Forum Street to provide a range of stalls from the many international societies on campus. Expect wonderful food, brightly coloured flags, music and games.

Before that, on Monday the 10th at 6pm in the M and D Room, there are auditions for the Talent Hunt Contest. International Society President Matin Ng Chin Liang told Exeposé that this event was extremely popular during last year’s Diversity Week and that it will be back event bigger and better this year. He told us that ‘any student’ can enter for a chance to perform in the final in the Forum’s Alumni Auditorium on Friday March 14th, again at 6pm.

Tickets to the final for the audience will only be £1 per head and the tiny cost will surely be worth it to see Exeter’s very own judges peruse an eclectic mix of student talent.

Image Credit: Diversity Month 2014
Image Credit: Diversity Month 2014

Matin Ng Chin Liang stressed that the ambition for this year’s events was to involve ‘as many Exeter students as possible, particularly local students’. Diversity Month 2014 is truly open to all and is intended to provide events at which domestic and international students can mix, socialise and learn from one another.

A test of this interaction and teamwork will come in the form of the Model UN Debate on Thursday the 13th of March. From 6-8pm in Queens Building MUN Society will host a mock debate, replicating the global politics of the real world.

There will also be a chance to be competitive at the Diversity Quiz. Questions will come thick and fast on the 12th March at 6pm in the Business School.

Other events recently added to the calendar include InterFaith Day on March 18th in the Forum (involving all the Faith societies celebrating religious diversity), a PrideSoc screening of ‘Call me Kuchu on February 27th and an Asian Society celebration of the Holi Festival in the Forum on March 16th.

The grand finale of the month will be the Diversity Ball in the Great Hall from 7pm on the 21st March. The winners of the Talent Hunt will perform and there will be other entertainment, too, along with food and drink.

Despite the well-intentioned ambitions of the organisers, the greater participation from domestic students in this year’s events is far from certain. Josh Creek, a second-year English student, told Exeposé ‘I think Diversity Month is an excellent idea but only time will tell if it is well done, with a fair set of local and international students involved’.

The message of Diversity Month seems undoubtedly positive and Exeter’s great strengths should be celebrated, so if you do fancy getting involved and trying something new, why not consider attending some of these events?

Keep an eye on the Exeposé website for more articles about diversity throughout the coming month and we’ll bring you coverage of these exciting events as well via the Exeposé News Facebook and Twitter accounts. 

You can like Diversity Month 2014 on Facebook

Liam Trim, Online Editor