Ignite launches mobile app competition with £30,000 prize

227
Image credit: Ignite Exeter Guild
Image credit: Ignite Exeter Guild

Exeter Ignite has launched a mobile app design competition with a total prize fund of £30,000.

Research and Knowledge Transfer alongside Exeter IT and the Students’ Guild have invited both staff and students to submit their most “inventive, publicly beneficial and commercially promising app ideas” to one of three categories: commercial, research enabling, and societal benefit.

Entrants do not require any technical expertise, as the winning app will be supported and funded for development by professional software developers.

Ignite will also be putting on a series of workshops and surgery sessions with professionals in order to assist students in further developing their ideas.

Louise Rose, Entrepreneur Support Manager and Manager of Ignite, labelled the competition as a “brilliant opportunity for students to get their mobile app ideas off the ground, with the support of professional developers.”

“We’re delighted to be partnering with Research and Knowledge Transfer on this.”

Last year, three of the competition’s participating teams were invited to the national rounds of the Microsoft Imagine Cup, two of which – CoLinked and Tiklo – placing in the finals.

CoLinked won the nationals with their soundSYNK app, scooping the top award of $50,000 and winning the opportunity to present to 14,000 Microsoft employees in Atlanta.

soundSYNK is a free app which allows users to create an “extensive” and “flexible” sound system using their smartphones. The app uses Bluetooth in order to synchronise music across smart devices in order to amplify the sound.

Listeners can also access the playlist and upvote songs to change the playlist order, or use the “Smart Play Queue” feature, which automatically generates a playlist based on the preferences of users in the network.

Though it is currently still in development, it will soon be available across all major platforms.

Jonathan Neumann from Team soundSYNK urges students to get involved: “Definitely enter the app competition – it took me to 3 continents, presenting in front of 14,000 people and having my own start-up now – so what have you got to lose?” For further information on the competition, click here.

Fiona Potigny, News Team

Exeposé News Editor 2015/16. All about that scoop, with a mega love of all that is culture, current affairs, fashion, feminism, philology... and FOIs. Puns make me very, very happy.