Home News Students asked to give blood

Students asked to give blood

190

The University of Exeter is offering the opportunity for students to donate blood to the NHS Give Blood cause on campus next month. Sessions will take place on Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th March between 9:45-11:45am and 1:45-4:15pm, with the aim to reach 122 donations each day.

Image credit: London Permaculture
Image credit: London Permaculture

Nine chairs will be in operation throughout the day, with each donation of blood providing almost one pint. One donation can help up to 3 individuals.

According to NHS Blood and Transplant, donors aged 17 to 24 currently only make up less than 15% of active donors. Only 4% of the whole population currently donate, despite the fact that over one in four people will require blood during their life.

Liz French, the University’s Head of Media Relations, said: “The blood donation sessions at the University are always well attended by both students and staff. In a county like Devon which has a relatively small population, it is even more important for people to support vital services like this one.”

Second year English Literature student Hannah Peck added: “Any opportunity to help those who are unwell in need of blood transfusions is a brilliant thing to get involved in – plus it’s such an accessible way for students to get involved. The university has so many people on campus each day, it seems like such a logical idea to take advantage of this to get more people donating.”

To book a slot, call 0300 123 2323 and request the University of Exeter session, giving the postcode EX4 4QJ.

James Pidduck, News Team