Global Focus: Nils Frahm

Global Focus: Nils Frahm

146

In the latest of our Global Focus features, Emily Marsay delivers a gem in the form of German composer, Nils Frahm. 

From Bach to Beethoven, Germany’s a country that’s never been short of classical masterminds, and that’s a legacy that doesn’t appear to be discontinued any time soon – not with the emergence of progressive, touching and critically acclaimed pianist Nils Frahm.

Based in the country’s cultural capital, the 33 year old Berliner, like the great composers before him, had began his musical education before he had even hit puberty. While the rest of us mortals were picking up our first recorder, he was being taught to play piano by Nahum Brodski – a student of the last scholar of Tschaikowski.

As a result of this, Frahm became immersed in the styles of the great classical pianists of the past, but it is this his combination of this with his study of contemporary composers which shines through in his forward-thinking music.

photocredit:www.musolife.com
photocredit:www.musolife.com

It was not until the release of his most recent solo album, Screws, that I began listening to Frahm’s music. Single Says is a composition that moves me; if you could hear emotion, here is what it would sound like.

I like to think that the short bursts of melody at the beginning are representative of tentative hope, which moves, through an 8 minute journey, into an crescendo, as if you have stopped holding back and have succumbed to an overwhelming emotion built up inside of you.

I recommend listening to it when you have a moment of solitude – this music brings you into the presence of the composer and he is the perfect company. Isolation turns into a feeling of a shared entity; the music lift your spirits up.

With its melancholy risings and falls I’m part of this journey with Frahm and he takes me away.

Nils Frahm’s Groove Shark

Nils Frahm’s Soundcloud

Emily Marsay

The music section of Exeter's independent student newspaper.