Home Screen Reviews Review: 2 Broke Girls, Season 3

Review: 2 Broke Girls, Season 3

2852

Chloe Forsyth reviews controversial sitcom 2 Broke Girls.

The third series of the American import, 2 Broke Girls, is well under way on E4 and if you have yet to try out the award winning comedy then I suggest you give it a go.

Image credit: E4
Image credit: E4

It centres around two waitresses at a Brooklyn diner; streetwise Max (Kat Dennings) has spent her life waiting on tables, while Caroline (Beth Behrs) is a former billionaire’s daughter who lost everything. With Caroline’s business background and Max’s baking ability the two embark on building a cupcake business together.

Fast forward three years and 48 episodes, and the comedy duo are still going strong. One of the many things I like about the show is the writers never let it get stale. We’ve already seen them open one unsuccessful shop and are now working out of a walk up window in the back of the diner. Then, in the last episode, Max began attending pasty school, adding a whole new dimension to the show.

I was slightly dubious about the introduction of the pastry school aspect, however, I could not have been more wrong. New characters have helped to freshen up the show without relegating the older, more established “diner family.”

Deke (Eric Andre) is an especially nice addition to the cast. Fresh from the sitcom Don’t Trust The B— In Apartment 23 his easy repertoire with Dennings has already made him a new favourite and the potential of a romance for Max will certainly liven up the rest of the series.

The chemistry between Behrs and Dennings has grown throughout the seasons and their relationship gives the show heart. Behrs herself commented; “Kat and I are really great friends and I think you can see that chemistry onscreen, and I hope that’s why people watch. Because we’re having a good time and I think that shows”.

The comedy has met with a lot of criticism because of its near the knuckle humour and certainly some of the jokes makes you cringe rather than laugh.

But, for the most part, the jokes are funny and if you’re looking for an easy watch with some loveable characters then you can’t really go wrong with 2 Broke Girls.

Chloe Forsyth

Have you seen 2 Broke Girls? Let us know on FacebookTwitter or by commenting below.