Home Comment Campus Annoyances: Forum Pianists

Campus Annoyances: Forum Pianists

182

Josh Creek argues that those playing the piano in the Forum are selfish and inconsiderate to say the least.

As a pianist I love having a piano available to play in the Forum. It’s nice to be able to have a quick tinkle on the ivories when strolling out of a lecture or seminar, and allow the dulcet tones of hammers on strings to gently soothe the strains of a busy timetable. True, it’s almost always already taken by a crowd of talented students who casually play incredibly complex and beautiful classical pieces but merely having the piano there is glorious for pianists.

Photo Credit: jDevaun via Compfight cc
Photo Credit: jDevaun via Compfight cc

As a student though I’m very much against having a piano available in the Forum. When working nearby it is very distracting, and even when wearing noise cancelling earphones with the volume turned up to unhealthy limits the damned instrument is still clearly audible.

If I had made the effort to go to the library or Forum to do work that’s what I expect to be able to do. Work. I don’t expect to be subjected to a raucous rendition of one of Rachmaninov’s piano concertos or Yiruma’s ‘River Flows In You’, or whatever else whomever is currently sat at the piano deigns to serenade us with.

I completely understand why having a piano in the Forum is useful. Before Christmas it was used by musical societies for carolling, and was largely only played by students around lunchtime, at least that was the case whenever I was working in the area.

But when it is being played, usually loudly, at any and all times of the day when the majority of those within earshot are trying to work, it is detrimental to the academic environment of the Forum and the Library.

Those playing the piano (other than the rare few who play it so quietly that even those very close to them can barely hear it) are selfish and inconsiderate to say the least. The major attribute of ‘University Life’ is the vast workload experienced by students, and the excessively loud piano playing in the Forum makes doing that work significantly harder.

Josh Creek

Leave a comment below or write to the Comment team at the Exeposé Comment Facebook Group or on Twitter @CommentExepose.