Home News Liam Fox MP on campus for talk

Liam Fox MP on campus for talk

283

This Thursday at 19:00 the Right Honourable Dr Liam Fox MP will be speaking for Exeter University Conservative Future in Amory Moot Room.

foxDr Fox, the Member of Parliament for North Somerset, has held a number of high profile positions in the Conservative Party since the Major Government.

As the Secretary of State for Defence in 2010, he strongly opposed serious reductions in the Armed Services alongside dealing with major budget cuts and a £37 billion shortfall on programmes left by the previous Labour government.

Dr Fox has also served as Conservative Party Chairman, Shadow Foreign Secretary, and stood in the 2005 Conservative leadership election. Dr Fox has been an outspoken supporter of the war in Afghanistan and the British presence there, alongside being a keen supporter of NATO.

He is a strong supporter of Israel and is a key member of Conservative Friends of Israel and in 2006 declared, “Israel’s enemies are our enemies and this is a battle in which we all stand together or we will all fall divided.”

Deputy Chairman of Conservative Future Chris Carter says “It’s a fantastic opportunity to get the opinion of a former Cabinet Minister on current affairs and life inside Parliament, one not to be missed by any students with an interest in politics!”

This fantastic opportunity to hear from a prominent UK politician will be followed by a Q&A session, and a social in the Ram. Members and non-members are welcome to attend!

Harry Chamberlain