Home News RAG Awards complete successful year after society raises over 100k

RAG Awards complete successful year after society raises over 100k

166
Henry Bowles won the RAG Award. Image credit: Niklas Rahmel & RAG

RAG, the University of Exeter’s biggest society, held it’s annual awards ceremony last Friday 7 March.

The formal event saw five awards given in various categories. The evening also saw the announcement of next year’s committee.

The society’s biggest event of the year was held at Reed Hall. Besides the awards themselves, the black tie event also included a variety of music and a champagne and canapé reception.

The main part of the evening was dedicated to the awards ceremony itself with five different categories. Those categories were: Most Innovative Event, Events Manager of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, Society of the Year and the RAG Award.

The Most Innovative Event went to the Prohibition Ball, the immensely popular event held in February at the Exeter Phoenix, which this year replaced the infamous Safe Sex Ball.

In the other awards, Islamic Society won Society of the Year, Natalie Rubner received Event Manager of the Year, while Newcomer of the Year went to Javaria Burki. Finally, the prestigious RAG Award went to Henry Bowles.

So far this year RAG has raised £103,034.38 for its selected charities, breaking the £100,000 target figure set by the society on the Guild’s website at the start of this year. It is also substantially more than last years total of £69,941.21.

The members of next year’s core committee were also announced, and they are: Milly Hindle, Emma White, Hannah Davies, Jimmy Rothwell, Rosie Steward, Alex Hawkes and Harry Williams.

Tom Walpole, RAG’s Social Media and Marketing Officer, said: “the ERA was a great night and it was amazing to be able to bring together some of the best charities, companies and societies that we have had the privilege of working with over the year. To find out that our fundraising total for this academic year is already over £100,000 was incredible and I cannot wait to see what next year’s committee can do.”

Sam Brewer, News Team