Exehibition: Krissi Hill

Exehibition: Krissi Hill

203

Our latest Exehibition is Krissi Hill, who paints close-up faces in intimate detail and attends Art Society Life drawing classes.

Image courtesy of the artist.
Image courtesy of the artist.

At Uni, I unfortunately don’t have the space or the time to do what I really love, which is painting. I do, however, go to the life-drawing classes run by artsoc and charcoal is my new best friend. It’s the quickest and easiest way to get big bold strokes down on paper and capture a sense of movement and vitality.

It’s a medium that gives a huge variety of tone which I find just can’t be achieved with a pencil. I love the depth of the blackness of charcoal –although if I go too overboard I normally end up with smudges across my face.

When I can though I like to paint. These pictures are from a series I did on sleeping faces.

Image courtesy of the artist
Image courtesy of the artist

I do tend to prefer portraiture just because I find it interesting to study people’s expressions and see the different colours across their skin. Jenny Saville is one of my favourite artists and I love the varied palette that she uses. I normally paint in layers starting with a base and picking out the bold primary colours and shading before building the details on top. I find it gives the painting a more 3D aspect and makes those bold colours more subtle.

These paintings are only small, about A3, which I suppose isn’t that small. I don’t like working on anything smaller than A3 as otherwise I can’t fit in all the detail I want to.

Image credit: Krissi Hill
Image credit: Krissi Hill

At A0 this painting is a much better size for how I’d like to work. I wanted to make the viewer feel like they were intruding on the subjects privacy in watching them sleep so close up. However, I definitely need more practice in scaling up the detail.

Image courtesy of the artist
Image courtesy of the artist

Krissi Hill