Home Music Charity gig featuring Semi-Toned at new Exeter venue next Sunday

Charity gig featuring Semi-Toned at new Exeter venue next Sunday

345
Image credit: i paper
Image credit: i paper

A charity gig headlined by Semi-Toned and starring a number of University acts is taking place next Sunday at The Tobacco House.

The event is raising money for the Elephant Appeal – a cause which both i, and its sister paper, The Independent, support – and is one of a number of similar nights happening around the country.

The charity appeal has been the most successful in The Independent‘s history, but despite raising over £500,000, the newspaper is hoping to amass more funds to help stop the “poaching crisis” that has seen 100 elephants killed for their ivory every day.

Five artists are set to perform, including student acts Tom Elliott, Drive In Saturday and Breakdancing Society. Local band Lion The Weak, who won Exeter’s Got Talent, will also play.

Starting at 7pm on Sunday, Battle of the Bands finalists Drive in Saturday will open the event at the recently opened Tobacco House, a live music venue situated near The Quay.

Lion The Weak and Paddon Award Nominee Tom Elliott, who have both appeared on BBC Introducing, will play later in the night, with a short performance from members of the University’ Breakdancing Society also featuring.

The all male a capella group Semi-Toned, who have won various awards for their work and even toured internationally, will then finish proceedings with a 45 minute performance.

Sam Holloway, one of the organisers, said: “I’m really looking forward to our first student event at The Tobacco House, it promises to be a great night and I couldn’t think of a better cause.”

Tickets cost £1 in advance, £2 on the night and £4 for non-students. Students who want to book their place on the guest list should email icharitygigex@gmail.com

Harrison Jones, Online News Editor