Student Bands Take Over Exeter Cavern

Student Bands Take Over Exeter Cavern

340

Sean Phillips gives us the low down ahead of one of the biggest nights in student music…

On Thursday 20th March, five of the university’s finest bands; ‘Saudade’, ‘Bloom’, ‘Kaleidoscope Eyes’, ‘Deathstar Disco’ and ‘Drive In Saturday’ will grace the stage at Exeter Cavern to showcase and celebrate the strength and diversity of our live music scene.

There’s been something of a sea change in Exeter’s live music scene this year. Whilst the student-run clubnight, KINK have brought some of the best up-and-coming live acts from across the nation to the city, the guild’s newest society, Pearshaped Exeter, has offered a new platform for student’s to engage with Exeter’s music scene in actively previewing and reviewing live music from right across the city and the South West. It’s all been a welcome breath of fresh air and has reflected strongly in both the quality and diversity of student acts that have been making a name for themselves this year, particularly through Campus Bands’ ‘Battle of the Bands’ competition which has been of an exceptionally high standard. It seems apt then, that a number of these acts have banded together (no pun intended) to put together a one-off showcase of the local talent that exists within our student community at our finest small venue.

photocredit:www.facebook.com/campusbands

Whatever your taste or preferences, there’ll be something here for you; Battle of the Bands finalists, ‘Drive in Saturday’, have captivated audiences this year with their epic rock balladry, referencing Pink Floyd and Nick Cave along the way, whilst ‘Deathstar Disco’ have been working audiences into a frenzy with their showmanship and swagger that harks back to the finest bands of the early 1970s. ‘Kaleidoscope Eyes’ have thrilled audiences with their fresh take on blues-based classic rock- think The Black Keys meets Thin Lizzy and you’ll be somewhere close, whilst ‘Bloom’ have shot onto this year’s music scene as one of indie’s hottest prospects. The Maccabees can step aside. Headliners, ‘Saudade’, meanwhile, have been crafting something huge sounding, somewhere between The Cure and The Stone Roses

With all that in mind, Thursday 20th March is certainly a date for the diary and something you won’t want to miss. See you down the front.

Sean Phillips

Doors 8pm, Tickets £4 on the door or available online at

http://www.wegottickets.com/exetercavern/event/262386

Here’s the event page:https://www.facebook.com/events/1374364359503263/?fref=ts