Home Arts & Lit Ten Books To Throw On The Bonfire

Ten Books To Throw On The Bonfire

239

In one of his last posts as part of the Exeposé editorial team, Online Books Editor Rory Morgan divulges what books he would like to throw on the bonfire…

*Disclaimer: We would like to stress that the views presented in this article do not reflect the overall views of Exeposé.*

10. Jane Eyre: I know the choice of this book may come as a surprise to many (and I know my co-editors would certainly crucify me for such a suggestion) but like it or not the classic has lost much of its gravitas in modern times. Give me Daphne Du Maurier’s Rebecca over this any day.

jane

9. The Da Vinci Code: Yes the plot is fantastic, yes the film adaptation was fun. But no amount of original plotlines can save this novel from the dire writing of Dan Brown who might want to take a lesson in English Grammar.

DaVinciCode

8. Sugar Rush: A volatile book by a volatile author. One of the few examples of a television adaptation being a vast improvement on its’ source material.

1582817

7. The Old Man and The Sea: For the pure reason that Hemingway makes us endure over 100 pages of an old, quite boring man sitting on a boat and not doing much else, this book earns its place in the flames.

485883_12256771_b

6. The first half of Wuthering Heights: Despite their significance in culture, the characters of Heathcliff and Cathy are so self centred and entitled it is hard to really care about either of them. Plus they gave us that god awful Kate Bush song.

wuthering-heights

5. The Vampire Diaries: Just what the world needed, a blatant rip off of a terrible franchise (yes I know some were published before Twilight, but many more came shortly after).

VampireDiaries6bks

4. Fifty Shades of Grey: This alone can be justified by the sentence: “My inner goddess looks like someone snatched her ice cream.”

Fifty-Shades-of-Grey

3. An Interview With a Vampire: Admittedly this one is purely personal (like much of the rest of this list) but for the pure reason I began this book with the optimism of similar novels such as Dracula and Frankenstein, the mediocrity of this long novel was too much to bear.

interview_with_the_vampire

2. The Entire Twilight Series: Did you really think any list like this could be complete without this abomination? In what I like to describe as the day young adult fiction died (October 5th 2005), since the day of release Stephanie Meyer’s franchise has changed the game for teenage novels and by extension given us the grumpy sod that is Kristen Stewart.

twilight

1. Stephenie Meyer herself: See above.

788px-Stephenie_Meyer_by_Gage_Skidmore

Leave a comment below or write to Books at the Facebook Group or on Twitter!