Home Games & Tech Comet and Unity: Is this a new era in the Assassin’s Creed...

Comet and Unity: Is this a new era in the Assassin’s Creed franchise?

344

In light of the announcement by Ubisoft that two new Assassin’s Creed games will be arriving later this year, Online Sport Editor Alex Bonner takes a look at what these games potentially have to offer.

Image Credits: www.engadget.com
Concept image from Assassin’s Creed: Unity   –   Image Credits: www.engadget.com

Two new Assassin’s Creed games have been scheduled for release over the coming year. Assassin’s Creed: Unity, scheduled to be released during the upcoming Christmas break, will focus on the French Revolutionary period. Thus, Unity will cover the historical period between 1787 and 1802, and is allegedly  a next-gen exclusive. At present, less is known about Assassins Creed: Comet, but the title, unique to PS3 and Xbox 360, will supposedly be set around 1758 in North America – specifically in the East Coast state of New York. Fans of the franchise will surely be satisfied by the opportunity to play, as an assassin, in two hugely interesting historical eras.

A sneak peak video of Assassin’s Creed: Unity has been released, which depicts a public execution in 18th century Paris, with the assassin perched atop a roof, as ever, consulting a pocket watch and deciding whether or not to take action. Paris is an excellent choice of location, as this will surely encapsulate, as well as stimulate, players’ interest in Parisian history. Ubisoft, in addition, will hopefully make the most of the cultural scope Paris had to offer during the 18th century. This will undeniably result in the creation of a visually and culturally appealing game, with these characteristics likely to appeal to a greater variety of gamer.

With Assassin’s Creed’s most recent release, Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag, Ubisoft managed to create a game that was both expansive in scope and enjoyable to play. I particularly enjoyed the naval aspect to Black Flag, as this allowed me to explore the virtual world of the Caribbean in an effective and efficient manner. Black Flag’s scope has been applauded, as it was certainly larger when compared it to any previous Assassin’s Creed title.

Unity’s choice to focus on the French Revolutionary period is an excellent decision by Ubisoft. Indeed, the Revolutionary period witnessed a protracted period of naval conflict, as evidenced through the Revolutionary Wars. I hope, therefore, Ubisoft make most of the naval aspect we saw in Black Flag, through incorporating this concept into Assassin’s Creed: Unity. The ability to upgrade my ship in Black Flag was certainly one of the game’s greatest appeals, meaning the re–incorporation of this concept into Unity would certainly make the game more appealing to me, as well to fans of the upgrading system.

Image Credits: assassinscreed.ubi.com
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag‘s naval gameplay –  Image Credits: assassinscreed.ubi.com

Both games, however, will hopefully develop on the progress made in Black Flag. Whilst the upgrading concept is an interesting and enjoyable experience, it could still benefit from further development. In addition, Grand Theft Auto V allowed the player to take control of more than one player over the course of the game – this concept fits well into the Assassin’s Creed format, as the opportunity to take control of more than one assassin will surely improve the overall experience.

As a huge fan of the Assassin’s Creed franchise, I am highly anticipating the release of both Unity and Comet. Both games will hopefully develop on the progress made in Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag. If worthwhile developments are made to both these games, the future looks extremely bright for the franchise, as well as its developer Ubisoft.

Alex Bonner, Online Sport Editor

Do you agree with Alex’s appraisal of Black Flag and the upcoming games? Are you dubious about Ubisoft’s decision to make Unity solely for next-gen consoles? Do you think Comet may come across as an afterthought? Get in touch with us via email: exepose-games@xmedia.ac.uk, or you can reach us on Twitter and Facebook.