World Cup: 5 underdogs who could spring a surprise at Brazil

1089

Sport Editor James Beeson examines the credentials of five underrated sides that could upset the odds in Brazil this summer:

Chile – The South-Americans face an uphill task to qualify from their group, having been pitted against both the 2010 World Cup finalists in Spain and Holland. They also, in addition, face a difficult task in the form of Australia. However, if their recent performance at Wembley, when they embarrassed England 2-0 in their own back yard, is anything to go by, Alexis Sanchez and co. will be more than capable of upsetting the odds, and escape their group.As well as Barcelona winger Sanchez, La Roja also possess a strong midfield containing the likes of Arturo Vidal, a title winner at Juventus, and Gary Medel, Cardiff’s no-nonsense enforcer. These two, in particular, will need to be at their very best to break up the quick passing and possession of their Spanish and Dutch opponents.

Predicted finish: Group Stage.

Colombia – Another South American side, and one that ought to face a slightly easier task qualifying from their group. Colombia have been dealt a favorable draw in group C, with their opponents being Greece, Japan and the Ivory Coast. Furthermore, the fact that no previous World Cup held in South America has ever been won by a team outside of the continent, ought to give the Colombians a major psychological boost.

Although, their fate will undeniably be dependent upon whether Radamel Falcao recovers from a severe knee injury in time for the competition. James Rodriguez, plying his trade alongside Falcao at Monaco, is a hugely talented young winger with pace in abundance, whilst striker Jackson Martinez, recently linked with Arsenal and Chelsea, is more than capable of filling the void if Falcao cannot make the squad.

Predicted finish: Round of 16

Switzerland – Often ridiculed for their seemingly lenient FIFA world ranking, the Swiss have quietly been assembling a squad of surprising depth in the run up to Brazil. A blend of exciting youth prospects such as Bayern Munich winger Xherden Shaqiri, and West Ham transfer target Josip Drmic, alongside experienced Napoli midfielders Valeron Behrami and Gokham Inler, should see them navigate group E ahead of Equador and Honduras. France, however, will probably pip them to win the group. With ex-Arsenal duo Philippe Senderos and Johan Djourou leading Switzerland’s defence, the Swiss may struggle.

Predicted finish: Round of 16 

Belgium – Perhaps calling Belgium World Cup underdogs is doing them a slight disservice, given the fact they finished their qualifying group unbeaten. Nevertheless, Belgium are only ranked 12th in the current FIFA World Rankings, which in my eyes makes them underdogs for this summers’ tournament. Despite this, manager Mark Wilmots is able to call upon a vast array of attacking talent, ranging from agile Premier League stars such as Kevin Mirallas and Eden Hazard, to the more direct Romelu Lukaku and Christian Benteke.

Belgium manger Wilmots has an excellent squad at his disposal. Image Credits: Sky Sports News
Belgium manager Wilmots has an excellent squad at his disposal. Image Credits: Sky Sports News

In midfield, Belgium are again almost spoilt for choice, with Moussa Dembele competing with the likes of Alex Witsel, Kevin De Bruyne and Marouane Fellaini for a starting berth. Oh, and for good measure, they also have two world-class centre-backs in the form of Vincent Kompany and Jan Vertonghen, and one of the best up-and-coming Goalkeepers in the world in Thibaut Courtois. Make no mistake, Belgium are a force to be reckoned with in Brazil.

Predicted finish: Semi Finals

Bosnia & Herzegovina – Having only been established as an independent team since 1992, and having never previously featured in a World Cup, it is all too easy to write Bosnia & Herzegovina off as no-hopers this summer. However, an impressive qualifying record of eight wins, a draw, and a defeat saw the ‘dragons’ top their group ahead of Greece to secure a place in Brazil. The draw was kind to Edin Dzeko and his countrymen, and group stage games against Iran and Nigeria are definitely winnable. Although, they must also navigate a tricky tie against Lionel Messi and Argentina. Bosnia & Herzegovina might not have a side packed with household names, but they do have a tremendous work ethic, and in Emir Spahic, they have a captain who will accept nothing but 100% from his teammates.

Predicted finish: Quarter-Finals