Home Lifestyle Food Recipe: Miniature Devils Food Cakes

Recipe: Miniature Devils Food Cakes

310

Online Lifestyle Editor Harriette Casey, gets baking with some Miniature Devils Food Cakes.

We’ve all been there…. It’s Easter Monday, and you’re sat down staring at a pile of Easter eggs, although, a substantially diminished pile due to the previous days exploits. If you’re already sick of eating bits of broken Easter egg out of a bowl, but don’t want to waste the good chocolate, then this is the perfect recipe for you. I came across it on the Good Food Channel website and it is a great way to use up a bit of that pesky leftover chocolate….

Credit: Harriette Casey

You Will Need:

• 125g of Easter Egg/ Lindt Bunny
  • 3 tbsp milk
  • 150g butter, at room temperature
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 200g plain flour
  • 1 tbsp good quality cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda

For the chocolate fudge icing:

Admittedly I cheated and used the Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Icing, but if you’d rather do it from scratch, I recommend Nigella’s recipe here [and you can use up even more of your Easter egg stash].

Step One

Check your flatmates/ housemates are not going to need the kitchen/ oven for a good 30 minutes and that they appreciate that their cooperation will result in cake. Preheat the oven to 180/ gas 4.

Step Two

Place chocolate and milk together in a large bowl, and sit over a saucepan of gently simmering water – making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the surface of the water. Heat until chocolate has melted then set aside to cool slightly.

Step Three

Beat the butter until it’s very soft and then added the caster sugar. Continue to beat until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then fold in the melted chocolate.

Step Four

Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and the bicarbonate of soda, and fold gently to mix. Divide the mixture into your cake/ muffin cases [depending on what’s available to you and what side you want your miniature cakes to be].

Step Five

Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the middle of the largest cake comes out clean.

Step Six

Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before turning them out of their tins and placing them on a wire rack to cool.

Step Seven

Wait until cakes are completely cool before applying your icing.

Step Eight

Share cakes with, and amaze your flat mates with your culinary prowess.

Credit: Harriette Casey

Harriette Casey,  Exeposé Online Lifestyle Editor.

Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ExeposeLStyle!