Home News £90,000 worth of funding granted to combat ‘binge drinking’

£90,000 worth of funding granted to combat ‘binge drinking’

772
Image credit: telegraph.co.uk
Image credit: telegraph.co.uk

The National Union of Students (NUS) and the Home Office have created a scheme to help control excessive drinking within universities in England and Wales.

Organisers of the NUS Alcohol Impact scheme hope to prevent students taking part in initiation challenges involving alcohol, as well as pub crawls.

Seven universities have currently joined the scheme, including Brighton, Royal Holloway, Loughborough, Swansea, Nottingham, Manchester Metropolitan and Liverpool John Moores. It will initially last for 12 months, and hopes to continue into a second year.

By joining the scheme, these universities will be assessed according to criteria such as limiting the sale, promotion and advertising of alcoholic drinks, ensuring that non-alcoholic drinks are also reasonably priced, as well as the prevention of initiations, drinking games and pub crawls. The scheme also hopes to promote communications between the universities and off-campus licensed premises, in order to promote the safety and wellbeing of students consuming alcohol. Student Unions have also been asked to hold non-alcoholic events throughout the academic year.

Highlighting the need for awareness of this issue, NUS vice-president Colum McGuire hopes it will create “a social norm of responsible consumption by students” and lead to “safer and more productive places to study and live.”

Speaking to the BBC, Professor Julian Crampton, vice-chancellor at Brighton University said: “Students work extremely hard to gain their qualifications and will always want time out to relax and enjoy themselves. The majority of students act sensibly but anything that reinforces the message of responsible drinking is something we would encourage.”

Concern over excessive drinking at Exeter was reported by Exeposé in December 2013. Details, including the survey carried out involving drinking habits can be read here.

Rachel Gelormini, Online News Editor