Home News Student author to appear at Exeter’s Exetreme Imagination Festival

Student author to appear at Exeter’s Exetreme Imagination Festival

510

A second year student from the University of Exeter will join a line-up of top children’s authors for the Exeter Exetreme Imagination Festival of Writing this week.

Beth Reekles, a second year Physics student at the University of Exeter and hugely popular Young Adult Author, is hosting a Q&A session in Exeter Library on Wednesday 29 October. This part of the “Extreme Day” in Exeter Library which also features an appearance from Tom Palmer (Over the Line).

The Festival, which started on the 25th October and finishes on the 1st November, has and will see a number of children’s writers share their wisdom and experience with students, children and others in the hope of inspiring future writers.

Michael Morpurgo (War Horse, Private Peaceful, Children’s Laureate 2003-2005), appeared on Saturday to discuss his work after a performance of one of his latest novels, ‘Elephant in the Garden’, set during the Second World War. Other authors who will be appearing include Darren Shan (The Saga of Darren Shan), Francesca Simon (Horrid Henry), Andy Stanton (Mr. Gum) and Babette Cole (Mummy Laid an Egg, Princess Smartypants).

The surrounding theme for this year is conflict. The topic was chosen in order to tie in with the centenary of the beginning of the First World War. Conflict is symbolised through the image of a poppy in order to reflect the great losses suffered on both sides because of the fighting. However, this theme also  aims to explore the ongoing battles that take place between man and nature, relationships, and with other people.

To support this theme, the Graduate School of Education ran a poetry competition for children and young people. The competition itself was judged by Exeter PGCE English students. They were joined by Professor of English, Connie Ruzich, a Fulbright Scholar from the United States. Currently based at the University of Exeter, Ruzich  is currently researching the poetry of WW1 and the British centenary commemorations of The Great War in order to develop teaching resources for schools in America.

Author and Historian Simon Butler (The War Horses) will also be running a competition to see who is truly the more popular, Dennis the Menace, or Horrid Henry.

Theodore Stone, News Team