Home Sport EUMCC begin title defence in style

EUMCC begin title defence in style

694

After winning a superb BUCS indoor gold last year, EUMCC have begun their title defence in resounding fashion. 1s captain Ollie Mills reports on a sensational round of qualifying for both EUMCC 1s and 2s. 

Having gone unbeaten to win BUCS gold in last year’s indoor competition, Exeter were confident of further success this time around. However, with some senior players having departed, there were three new additions to the 1s side, with second year’s Rob Newman and Rob Craze and first year Jon Burden joining stalwarts Mills, Tom Abell and Tom Barton. The first stage of the competition is a regional group, where seven teams plays all play each other and the top two progress to the last 16 in the country

EUMCC 2s squad, excelled with five brilliant wins against Bath, UWE, Plymouth, Gloucestershire & Marjons.  Photo Credit: EUMCC
EUMCC 2s squad excelled with five brilliant wins against: Bath, UWE, Plymouth, Gloucestershire & Marjons.
Photo Credit: EUMCC

Exeter proved their dominance with some convincing wins in the group stage. The 1s won all six of their games, with their batting consistently dominant, thanks in no small part to the performances of Somerset CCC star Tom Abell. This was matched by some particularly impressive performances coming from the opening bowling pairing of  Burden in partnership with the old head of fourth year Barton.

The side looks very well balanced and will head into the next round confident of further success. Including last year the 1s have now gone 19 games unbeaten a run they will hoping to continue in the knockout rounds after Christmas. 

The real success story for Exeter however was the performance of the 2s. Intelligently marshalled by club captain James Rimmer, their only loss came against he 1s. With some special victories over Bath, Plymouth and Gloucestershire. Indeed against the latter they managed to defend only 73, which is a remarkable achievement considering scoring 100 is normally a minimum score.

Due to BUCS regulations only one team can go through from each university, so third place Plymouth took the place of the deserving Exeter 2s, despite having been comprehensively inferior! Hopefully this rule will be changed before next year’s competition. The group stage has shown just how strong a position Exeter cricket is in, and all squads will be working tirelessly over the winter to make sure the indoor success continues outdoors too.