Home Screen Features What To Watch This Month: December

What To Watch This Month: December

824

Online Screen Editor Will Cafferky returns with a festive edition of his preview of this month in Film, including a special festive recommendation of what to watch on TV this christmas. 

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies 

When?: Friday 12th December 
Where: 
Most Cinemas
Why?: For those who aren’t fans of Peter Jackson’s adaptions of Tolkein’s classic, this will pass you by, but for the rest it’s seminal holiday viewing. Whatever your persuasion, there’s no doubting the scale of this production, which looks to tie up the precarious cliffhanger of the previous instalment.

Dr Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 

When?: Friday 12th December 
Where: 
Film4
Why?: If Stanley Kubrick isn’t enough to convince you to give Dr Stangelove a chance, then the film’s story may. Made in the 1960s, it’s a satirical black comedy, that centres around a mad general who taking it upon himself to launch a the first nuclear attack upon the Soviet Union. Peter Sellers plays three of the main characters, including an incredible portrayal of the wheelchair-bound former Nazi nuclear scientist – Dr Stangelove.

It’s a Wonderful Life

When?: Saturday 13th December, 15:50 
Where: 
More4 (and probably everywhere)
Why?: An unequivocal Christmas classic. You’ll be able to find it everywhere, and it’ll undoubtedly be the cornerstone of your family’s christmas movie collection. Nothing will make you feel warm and christmassy like this will. It even has those black and white actors in it, to make you feel all traditional and nostalgic.

Unbroken 

When?: Friday 26th December 
Where: 
Picturehouse
Why?: A bit of a break from the Christmas cheer, to take a peak at the best film to see on boxing day. Amongst many, the post-Christmas visit to the cinema is somewhat of a tradition. Angelina Jolie’s directorial debut (In the Land of Blood and Honey) may have been somewhat uninspiring, but biographic drama Unbroken shows definite promise. Starring Jack O’Connell as Louis Zamperini, the American athlete interned in a Japanese prisoner of war camp during WWII.

Online Screen Editor Will Cafferky