Home Screen Top 10: On Screen Rants

Top 10: On Screen Rants

597

In the aftermath of exams it’s very easy to feel like ranting. So we’ve put together the best film and TV rants we could think of. You are not alone in the stress.

1. Adaptation (2002)

A trippy film where Nicolas Cage is, for once, being shouted at rather than exploding with rage himself.

2. The Newsroom (2012)

One of the best opening sequences to a TV series, in which the lead character (Jeff Daniels) explains why America is not the greatest country in the world.

3. In Bruges (2008)

This entire film is essentially a curse-filled rant. Here’s an example of Ralph Fiennes going mental about fairy-tales.

4. Network (1976)

“I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore.” One of cinema’s seminal outbursts, and a film that manages to become even more relevant with age.

5. Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)

In a room with, amongst others, Kevin Spacey and Al Pacino, it’s Alec Baldwin who comes out guns blazing in this damning indictment of life on the bottom rung.

6. Trainspotting (1996)

The widely unadvertised campaign for a third option in the recent Scottish referendum. It’s shite to be Scottish, at least according to Ewan McGregor.

7. Team America: World Police (2004) 

Dicks, pussies and assholes. Unlike ‘The Interview’, Team America managed to pop fun at North Korea without much furore, plus it’s about ten times funnier.

8. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987) 

This is peak Steve Martin, before he did what felt like three thousand ‘Cheaper By The Dozen’ films.

9. The Big Lebowski (1998)

Dude. Everything about this scene is great, right down to “I Hate You” by The Monks ticking along in the background as Walter becomes increasingly irate.

10. Downfall 

After a somewhat light-hearted tangent, we end on a serious note. It has been much parodied, but this scene depicting Hitler’s final moment is still one of the more poignant cinematic breakdowns.

And now we can all relax.

Emma Sudderick and Will Cafferky

Online Screen Editors