Home Exeter Exeposé Exclusive: RAG runs away with the Circus

Exeposé Exclusive: RAG runs away with the Circus

550

In an interview with RAG’s own Milly Hindle, we give you the insider knowledge on what’s really been going on behind the curtain…

Exeposé: RAG has built a legacy over the years for putting on a themed student ball. What was the inspiration for this year’s theme?

MH: We wanted to think about what hasn’t yet been seen in Exeter, so looked at the trends across the London club scene where circus parties have proven immensely popular. However, we’ve given our take on the circus a bit of a dark twist- it has a more vintage, unusual atmosphere than the innocent funfair, so expect a night full of surprises!

Exeposé: So is RAG’s circus a show to be watched, or is it a classic party-style event?

MH: Le Cirque Sombre is very much a party, but it’s not without performance. The beauty of this event is that there is constant entertainment to grab your attention. The night will be split between two main rooms: one with upbeat music, our main performances and a bar with a difference…! The other will channel a more chilled stage and music, catering to guests of all moods. We’ve got some of Exeter’s best DJs with us all night, but there will also be circus performances

Photo Credit: Exeter RAG Twitter
Photo Credit: Exeter RAG Twittences and free dodgems to shake things up.

Exeposé: What are you getting for your £30 ticket?

MH: We’ve managed to pack in a lot- dodgem rides, stilt walkers, fire acts, burlesque dancers, to name but a few! Also in attendance are some of the biggest names on the Exeter music scene, including Beats N Bass, Rotten Apple Orchestra, Mahatma’s Odd & Topick and DJ Freejak, back by popular demand with his mesmerising light show!

Exeposé: Unlike many other events of this nature, the profit made will be going to charity. Can you tell us a bit about the work of the charities RAG supports?

MH: This year, we are proud to support Exeter Foodbank, Mind Exeter and East Devon and ESV. These charities supply emergency food to those in desperate need, empower individuals by enabling mental wellbeing and run various volunteer projects to support the local community. Last year, RAG was proud to raise £174,433.31 for charity, so your money really will help make a difference.

Exeposé: And what should we wear to get into the circus spirit? Is it a black tie event or should we come in costume?

MH: The dress code is black tie with a circus twist. We want you looking smart, but don’t be afraid to bring out your dark side! Jazz up your suits and cocktail dresses with feathers, harlequin prints, sparkle, top hats, bow ties and of course, some statement make-up!

Exeposé: Last year, Prohibition Ball was in the Exeter Phoenix. Where is the venue this year?

MH: This year, we are bringing the event back to campus and transforming Devonshire House as you know it! Guests will be entering in through the Great Hall piazza and Sanctuary Foyer, where an opulent reception awaits! We are so lucky to have such flexible spaces on campus and are relishing the opportunity to impress by decking them out in true circus style.

Le Cirque Sombre will be taking place on Friday 30th January, across Devonshire House. Early Bird tickets are sold out, but you can buy your general ticket HERE: http://www.exeterguild.org/lecirquesombre/

Laura- Jane Tiley, Online News Editor