Home News Roman Bath House to be excavated in Exeter

Roman Bath House to be excavated in Exeter

851
Image credit: Express and Echo
Image credit: Express and Echo

Exeter Cathedral has applied for multi-million pound funding in order to unveil Exeter’s Roman Bath House, which has been discovered underneath the Cathedral Green.

The project, entitled ‘Foundations’, is expected to attract at least 100,000 extra visitors to the city annually.

The scheme is expected to cost £12.8 million, with hopes that the Heritage Lottery Fund will fund the majority of the project.

The Bath House was discovered in 1971 when work started on the Cathedral Green for the construction of an underground car park.

The scheme itself would see the construction of an underground centre, with interpretation included to help visitors understand the remains. It will tell the story of Roman and Saxon Exeter.

The centre will also display the Anglo-Saxon Exeter Book and the Exon Domesday, which are two of the Cathedral’s greatest treasures.

The project has been developed over the past 12 months with the support of English Heritage, the city council and the public.

Speaking to Express & Echo, the Dean of Exeter Cathedral, the Very Reverend Jonathan Draper, expressed his gratitude for being “helped enormously by English Heritage in putting this bid together and we are really grateful for the support we’ve had from across the city.”

The Cathedral is expected to find out whether or not the application is successful in April. Draper added that the team would “love to hear people’s views before then, and [they] are putting together a website where people will be able to see more details and proposed drawings of the underground visitor centre, which will also be on display in the cathedral.”

Theodore Stone, News Team

To get involved and support the project while the cathedral waits for the HLF decision, email foundations@exeter-cathedral.org.uk.