Home News Exeter Specialists and Manchester United Revolutionise Heart Health

Exeter Specialists and Manchester United Revolutionise Heart Health

783

Manchester United’s Academy players are having their hearts monitored by the latest imaging technology to give invaluable insight into how the hearts of young generations work.

The project is being led by the Bristol Heart Institute at the University of Bristol and is being funded by the National Institute for Health Research, partnered with Tobisha Medical Systems, Bristol’s Clinical Research and Imaging Centre, the University of Exeter’s Children’s Health and Exercise Research Centre and Manchester United. The project hopes to identify the healthy limits and the wider benefits of exercise for young adult athletes, normal healthy children, and children with congenital heart defects.

Professor Craig Williams, the Head of the University of Exeter’s Children’s Health and Exercise Research Centre, explained: “The research will provide us with the first ever normative database for the effects of exercise on young hearts”.

“The findings of this research will be a significant step forward for clinicians as care providers to deliver wellbeing guides for the children with congenital heart disease.”

Currently, echocardiograms in children have been traditionally used while patients are at rest, making it more difficult to assess heart performance and locate abnormalities.

The study will monitor heart function both at rest and at maximum exercise whilst simultaneously assessing exercise capacity and performance, as well as lung function in a time efficient manner within a single seating.

The overall aim of the project is to precisely identify the safe levels of exercise for children with congenital heart disease, and to clearly define the positive benefits of regular exercise.

In addition, data from young adults will be used to improve screening protocols for cardiac abnormalities in young athletes.

Theodore Stone, News Team