Home Sport Double Success for UEBC

Double Success for UEBC

1099
Sofia Bensily in action for UEBC. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

Squad Captain Lucy Manley and UEBC men’s Luke Blades report on a day of double success for UEBC:

UEBC Women’s 1s  5

Brighton 1s 3

Squad captain Lucy Manley in action on her way to victory. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

It was a must win game this Wednesday for the Ladies 1s team being their last league match of the season. With Brighton only bringing four players, Exeter had 2 games before they had even stepped on court, but this didn’t guarantee a win, with Brighton fielding a strong team.

Sofia Bensily and Emma Saggers took to the court first. A sterling effort from Emma, but the Brighton player proved too strong and she took the first game. Sofia fought from the first point against a rather tactical time-wasting Brighton girl and took the match in 2 games, much to the delight of the Exeter crowd.

Doubles was up next with Lily Stanton and Lucy Manley taking on the Brighton double. The Exeter pair started well smashing anything that came back at them. They took the game 21-10, 21-13 – job done for the day. Emma and Sofia were on court to face their second singles matches. Both games went to Brighton but the score lines showed just how well the two Exeter girls had played against difficult opponents.

It was 4-3 to Exeter with one doubles to play. A draw at this point would mean Exeter ended 4th in the league, so all the pressure fell on 1s captain Lucy Battersby and Charlotte Wardle to bring in the win. A strong start for the Exeter pair meant they took the first game. As pressure built the pair ended up losing the second end. However, they fought back and took the third 21-17 resulting in an overall smashing 5-3 win for the team and a stellar 3rd place finish in Premier South! A brilliant achievement, well deserved by all!

UEBC Men’s 1s  6

Bournemouth 1s  2

Luke Blades' assured performance meant he  romped to a comfortable victory. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung
Luke Blades’ assured performance meant he romped to a comfortable victory. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

Exeter Men’s 1s  defeated Bournemouth 1s with a ‘smashing’ 6-2 score line. The singles games, played by Andy Brockie and Luke Blades, were all won convincingly, conceding as few as 4 or 5 points in some sets. The match was 4-0 to Exeter with doubles to come.

The doubles pairs, Mark Milton/Brendan Foreman and Dan Temp/Cam Levy were up against much stronger opponents. Both Exeter partnerships beat one of the opposing pairs, whilst the other Bournemouth players proved more of a battle. Milton and Foreman came close to securing this second win but lost by a narrow margin: 21-23 in the deciding set. The Men’s team have one league match remaining which will decide where they finish in the Western 1A league.