Home Arts & Lit Preview: Read All About It

Preview: Read All About It

704

Extra, extra! The University of Exeter Dance Society is proud to present this year’s annual dance showcase, Read All About It, at Exeter’s Barnfield Theatre on the 28th February!

Dance is often an underappreciated medium, but as Sergei Polunin’s interpretation of Hozier’s hit ‘Take me to Church’ went viral last week, Ballet’s Bad boy proved once again that dance can moving, modern and accessible. This week you have the chance to indulge in a variety of dance performed here in Exeter, as Dance Society will be putting their best foot forward and performing their best work.

In an innovative move, the showcase is newspaper themed, and every dance performance will represent a different newspaper section. Over the course of the show, the audience will be taken through the paper with a current events related contemporary piece, a travel themed tap dance, a commercial cars routine, jazz dances which bring you the latest in showbiz, the weather and many more.

Image Credit: Exeter Dance Society
Image Credit: Exeter Dance Society

Read All About It involves the entire dance society; every class performs to bring you a varied show including ballet, tap, jazz, commercial, Irish and contemporary styles. Whatever your taste, there will be something for everyone. However, class dances are not all that the showcase has to offer. The show also features pieces from this year’s performance squad, who perform regularly in clubs and events around Exeter, and the competition squad, for whom the showcase will be their debut before going on to compete in inter-university dance competitions in Loughborough and Northampton in March.

As an entirely student run society, from the event organisation to the choreography and dance classes themselves, Read All About It is a true labour of love. “I’m really excited to show off all the hard work the society’s put in this year”, said Georgia Ball, president of the society. “So many of the students here have so much talent – it’s great to be able to showcase it.” Louise Hatherall, the society’s Tap rep also said: “As a rep I’m super excited to show off all the dancers’ hard work this year! It’s been so much fun teaching everybody and now we just want to perform”.

Image Credit: Exeter Dance Society
Image Credit: Exeter Dance Society

So if you have an inkling that Irish dancing is your hidden talent and you want to see it in action, or if you simply enjoy innovative dance Read All About It is the show for you this Saturday 28 February, with performances at 14:30 and 19:00.  Check out their Facebook Event here and book your tickets here.

Claire Berrisford

Follow Exeposé Arts on twitter and like us on Facebook here.