Home Comment Trouble on the streets

Trouble on the streets

622

Well, well, well… here we go again. Another horrendous own goal from EUAFC has seen them embroiled in a racism scandal, complete with a police investigation and some unhappy local staff just trying to serve some fish (not eels, so far as we can tell).

But frankly, this isn’t a laughing matter and nor is it something that can be brushed under the carpet. This is a serious, topical and disheartening issue which we should not have to be talking about. Details are scarce, courtesy of a characteristically silent University and AU, but clearly members of the football team went to Neptune Fish bar and caused trouble – some of which was of an allegedly racist nature – before continuing to Timepiece where the police caught up with them.

The recent incidents involving Chelsea fans and even Stirling University (page 2) could easily be brushed off as isolated, but the fact that individuals at our University have been caught up in a similar scenario is a worrying return to more unsavoury times. That’s not to suggest racism in Britain is necessarily on the rise, just that this is not a time for complacency.

In fairness, this appears to have been the result of one individual’s actions. Like a naughty little boy, he’s let himself down, let his club down and worst of all he’s let his university down. Some might try and pin the blame on us for that, but we haven’t set out to trash the football club’s reputation, it’s merely our duty to report truth – and if that is a side effect, then so be it.

On an equally troubling note, reports of an ‘exhibitionist’ preying on Exeter students in their homes (page 1) certainly makes for scary reading, particularly given that Devon County Council are continuing to only light our streets partially at night. Hopefully the individual will be prevented from causing any further trouble.

Meanwhile, the University have conveniently been unable to answer our latest enquiries into Steve Smith’s expenses (page 5). The rhetoric of transparency and “scrutinising every penny” looks mighty odd when the University can’t even keep track of their own vice-chancellor’s spending for less than £450. The hypocrisy becomes more laughable by the week. That’d be if our tuition fees were funny, of course.

Elsewhere, in this our penultimate edition as editors, we have light-hearted interviews with the new Sabb team (page 11) and the Cribs’ Ross Jarman (page 22). There’s an honest, full blooded take on mental health which is well worth five minutes of your time (page 12). The ever-present issue – which our investigation finds affects large numbers of us – is tackled full on in this first hand account.

Meanwhile, John Chilvers has written an insightful piece on students registering on the electoral register (page 8). This is an issue which we’re restricted on reporting about because of the legal availability of the figures, but we have seen them and they’re shocking – John’s advice is sound: it’s worth taking the time to sign up.

Look out for our final issue in two weeks – we promise not to get too soppy with our goodbyes.