Home Screen Reviews Review: Big Hero 6

Review: Big Hero 6

Hannah Weiss reviews Disney's dazzling new superhero adventure.

1389

Teenage genius Hiro Hamada, hilarious healthcare robot Baymax, and a plucky gang of cool nerds form Marvel’s next generation of superheroes.

After Hiro’s older brother Tadashi dies in a fire, the same night Hiro’s latest robotic invention is mysteriously stolen, he embarks on a mission to track down the thief and avenge Tadashi’s death. When the baddie – wearing a creepy Kabuki mask – realises Hiro is on his trail, car chases, secret island laboratories and superhero upgrades for the nerd gang will keep viewers on the edge of their seats. But as Hiro gets closer to capturing his nemesis, he discovers that their motives may be surprisingly similar.

Big Hero 6 features the most diverse cast of any animated Disney flick, including Asian Americans Daniel Henney, Ryan Potter and Jamie Chung. The film is set in the beautifully realised city of San Fransokyo, a fusion of Japan and America filled with hidden nods to popular anime characters and Japanese culture.

Baymax, a blinking marshmallow of a robot, is the star of the show

The story is based on a little-known Marvel comic series, and fans of kick-ass superhero action will admire Disney’s spunky take on the genre. It’s a great introduction for kids – or anyone uninitiated – who can go on to appreciate classics such as the Avengers franchise.

But it is the traditional Disney heart which makes this movie. There are the expected clichés – spot the orphans, cute pets and sassy teenage protagonist. However, the plot offers unexpected depth as Hiro learns to cope with loss, finding consolation in Baymax, his brother’s final creation.

Baymax, a blinking marshmallow of a robot, is the star of the show. His balloon-like figure and trotting gait, coupled with Scott Adsit’s deadpan delivery, make for some uproarious slapstick comedy and bring a light touch to some of the darker moments in the story. Baymax diagnoses a horrified Hiro with ‘adolescent mood swings’, becomes adorably tipsy when his battery runs low, and is the surrogate brother who watches over Hiro with hilarious and heart-breaking results, as the film builds to a climax that combines Marvel white-knuckle action with Disney magic.

Also, no new animated film would be complete without the pre-movie short – and Disney’s offering Feast is a sweet, smartly animated new addition to the genre (including the cliché cutesy pet, of course).