Home Sport EUABC Big Show Preview

EUABC Big Show Preview

1385

Following the success of Boxing Varsity, EUABC are back with their second show of the year at the Lemmy. Club Captain Richie Goulding takes us through all the boxers in action on Wednesday 25th:

Leo Ng (Exeter, 69 kg) vs. Kieran O’Malley (University of Bristol, 69 kg)

Leo will be competing in his first bout on the night against an opponent from Bristol Uni. Leo only took up boxing in September but his dedication, hard work and aggressive style have meant that he is ready to compete.

Ben Christy (Exeter, 75 kg) vs. Jack Morelli (University of Bristol, 75 kg)

The 'Lemmy' will once again be transformed into a sporting auditorium. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung
The ‘Lemmy’ will once again be transformed into a sporting auditorium. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

Ben will be competing in his first bout on the night against an opponent from Bristol Uni. Ben has been boxing for quite a while now but only recently decided that he would like to take it a bit more seriously and compete. He has sinced improved vastly and earned the right to compete on our show.

Catherine Holst (Exeter, 74 kg) vs. Janice Okambga (Bristol uni, 73 kg)

Catherine is another debutant that only begun boxing in September. Despite being a relative newcomer, she has developed an effective, rangy style and will be competing in her first bout on the night.

Ed Beecham (Exeter 88kg) vs. Richard Ibister (Bristol Uni, 87 kg)

Ed features as another debutant on the show against Richard Ibister of Bristol University. Ed begun boxing last academic year but has since stepped up his training to make it onto the squad. Ed has stiff, strong straight shots that he uses effectively to keep his opponent at range and land his own damaging shots.

Kayleigh Basson (Exeter 62 kg) vs. TBC (Devonport BC)

Kayleigh is another debutant that only begun boxing in September. Since joining at the start of the academic year she has rarely missed a session, progressing quickly enough to make it onto the squad at the start of this term. She has since developed an aggressive, come forward style, which she uses to put her opponents under heavy pressure.

Sam Isaac (Exeter, 55 kg) vs. TBC (Devonport BC)

Sam is a first year at the university yet boxed before he arrived as a junior. He won the Welsh Junior championships and represented Wales in the Tri-Nations tournament. Since arriving at Exeter he narrowly missed out on a BUCS final and will be looking to recover from his semi-final loss when he boxes on the show.

Ed Frost (Exeter, 69 kg) vs. TBC

Jack Price-Draper in action at this year's Boxing Varsity. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung
Jack Price-Draper in action at this year’s Boxing Varsity. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

Ed has been a club member for a number of years yet only had his first contest this year. He lost to a more experienced opponent on a narrow points decision, and will be looking to rectify his record this time around. He has a slick, back-foot style, utilising his superior range to land punches whilst his opponent is kept at bay.

Jack Price-Draper (Exeter 70 kg) vs. TBC

Jack had an unsuccessful BUCS campaign and anyone who knows him will know that he didn’t perform to his true potential the day he lost his quarter final. Jack will be returning to the ring at the show, hoping to return to winning ways. Jack wears his heart on his sleeve when he boxes, boxing with pure heart.

Ben Cartwright (Exeter, 71 kg) vs. TBC (Golden Ring BC)

Ben was unfortunate to miss out on BUCS gold this year, losing the final on a point’s decision in a tough, bruising encounter. The silver medallist will be making his first return to the ring since that final, where he will be looking to get back to winning ways. Having only started competing this season, Ben has come on leaps and bounds, winning 4 of his 6 contests. He is a fit, strong, aggressive come-forward fighter who isn’t afraid to trade shots with his opponent.

BUCS silver winner Olga Zyuzina will be hoping to impress. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

Olga Zyuzina (Exeter 48 kg) vs. TBC

Olga also won a silver medal in BUCS this year, narrowly missing out on the gold in a point’s decision loss to an Oxford University boxer. She will be looking to return to winning ways on the show on the 25th

George Humby (Exeter 56 kg) vs. TBC

George missed out on the BUCS final this year after being stopped in the semi-final due to a nosebleed. George will have been annoyed to lose in such a way and I’m sure he will use it as fuel to drive him on in his return to the ring. George is super-fit and has a great engine on him.

Richie Goulding (Exeter, 83 kg) vs TBC (Golden Ring BC)

Richie won gold in BUCS last year and missed out on the competition entirely this year due to injury. He hasn’t competed since the varsity for one reason or another and can’t wait to get back in the ring. The layoff has left him raring to go, and he can’t wait to continue his recent winning streak.

Ike Ogbo (Exeter 91 kg) vs. TBC

BUCS champion Ike Ogbo will want to maintain his winning record. Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung

Ike captured gold in the heavyweight class in BUCS this year and will be having his first bout since the BUCS victory at the show. He is now undefeated in seven bouts and will be looking to continue his winning streak, despite not currently being matched. Ike’s style is pure aggression; he simply comes forward and throws more leather than his opponent. His strength and fitness allows him to outwork most of his opponents.

If you would like to hear more about the event, then please visit the Facebook page attached:  https://www.facebook.com/events/1380348552282267/

Tickets are £10 on the door or £8 in advance. They can be purchased either via email on: boxing.captain@exeter.ac.uk or in the Forum via designated ticket sellers.