Home Sport Climbing Club win LUBE

Climbing Club win LUBE

1519
Exeter’s A Team. From left to right: Rhoslyn Frugtniet, Johnny Kydd and Keiha Dhruev. Photo: Will Robertson

The University of Exeter Climbing Club enjoyed a successful weekend at this year’s London University Bouldering Event (LUBE), with their A team defending their title to come away victorious for the second year running.

Up at the crack of dawn to make the drive to London for the fourth and final round of this year’s LUBE, victory was the aim for Exeter’s climbers. Both the A and B teams had put in strong performances at the previous three rounds, and the competition came to a head at the Arch Climbing Wall, Bermondsey, on Saturday 7 March.

LUBE is an annual national bouldering competition, hosted by King’s College London Mountaineering Club, for university teams to compete across four top indoor venues in London. Universities can enter two mixed teams made up of three climbers as well as up to two individual competitors. Within the three hour time limit, climbers must complete as many of the 25 bouldering problems as possible in as few attempts as they can. The top three men, women and teams gain podium positions.

A range of technical problems dominated by slab walls had many climbers scratching their heads. Nonetheless, Exeter’s climbers put in a first-rate performance. Rhoslyn Frugniet took second place in the women’s league, topping her BUCS placing of fourth, while Johnny Kydd came first in the men’s. Both were in their final competition for the University. Together with Keiha Dhruev, the A team defended their title as reigning champions, coming away victorious with an overall first place, a hugely impressive 153 points above second placed Warwick.

Meanwhile, the B team made up of Naomi Tilley, Freddy Saunders and Will Robertson came twelfth overall and were the third best B team in the competition. Walking away with a van full of prizes and the slate LUBE trophy, Exeter put in a sterling performance to end the competition season on a high.

Jessie Stanier- Climbing Club member