Home News Luxury student flats in hot demand despite hefty £15,708 a year price...

Luxury student flats in hot demand despite hefty £15,708 a year price tag

678

Luxury student flats in Exeter are in hot demand for the coming academic year despite their substantial £15,708 a year price tag.

Dean Clarke Lofts, the latest in a series of high-profile student accommodation developments to hit the city centre, have already let a number of their rooms, which offer views of Exeter Cathedral.

For over £300 a week, students can expect accommodation “packed with Georgian period features and full of natural light”, which is also “perfectly set up for digital living, with 152 MB broadband, Wi-Fi throughout and a flat-screen internet TV”, according to Collegiate AC Student Accommodation, which is responsible for marketing the Southernhay site.

EriCuanalo, chief executive of Collegiate, claimed that students want accommodation to match their growing aspirations, stating that: “Our residents want attention…and expect us to focus on enhancing the student experience”.

“Not only this, but we add a little wow to each property, ensuring that the transition to university life is easy and enjoyable”, he added.

Such a transition can be made via limousine through Dean Clarke’s chauffeur meet and greet service, in which students can be collected from Heathrow or Gatwick airport and transported in a Mercedes Viano for £320 plus VAT.

The offer of airport collection evidences the growing demand for up-market luxury accommodation such as Dean Clarke Lofts and the recently created high-spec Printworks and Picturehouse Apartments particularly from overseas students, which is currently fuelling a boom for investors in the city centre.

This increase in international interest coupled with the University’s expansion, which saw over 1,000 additional freshers enrol at Exeter last September, has caused a significant increase in the buy-to-let market over the past 12 months, according to Jodie Griffiths of Winkworth Estate Agents.

Given that demand in 2014 was so strong, she stated that some students reserved rooms up to a year in advance, adding that: “we could have let the entire register three times over”.

This news comes just weeks after Exeposé revealed that both private and on-campus accommodation prices are set to soar in the coming year with some increasing by up to £26 per week.

Jon Carden, founder of Cardens Estate Agents, suggested that high-rent accommodation is set to stay in Exeter, explaining earlier this year that rent prices will continue to increase “as long as the number of students remains stable or continues to rise.”

Fiona Potigny, News Team

Follow @ExeposeNews on Twitter and like us here on Facebook