Home News Exeter University to cut over 200 jobs

Exeter University to cut over 200 jobs

28393

Over 200 support jobs are going to be cut at the University of Exeter to extend academic staff and global reach.

Librarians, technicians and administrators are amongst those jobs that will suffer losses.

Although the university “offered the opportunity to all staff to apply for a generous voluntary severance scheme”, the planned redundancies were causing “anxiety and uncertainty” according to The University College Union (UCU).

Jonathan Barry, Vice President of the Exeter University and College Union commented: “We are worried for the ordinary staff and how the university is going to come out of this.”

Professor Sir Steve Smith, Vice-Chancellor of the University, told the BBC: “This is all about consolidating Exeter’s position as a top ten UK university but increasingly moving to becoming one of the absolutely leading global players. We have to bring in staff to help us get there and that costs money.”

“The University has enjoyed a sustained and successful period of growth and now is the right time to make sure we have people working in the right areas, to help us achieve our next ambition to become one of the best universities not just in the UK, but globally.”

A spokesperson for the University of Exeter added: “The University will continue to make significant investments to achieve this ambition, and the recruitment of additional academic staff is a fundamental aspect of this.”

Elizabeth Menshikova, Online News Editor

3 COMMENTS

1. Hello everyone, it’s my first pay a quick visit at this web site,
    and paragraph is in fact fruitful in support of me, keep up posting these types
    of content.

2. There are many other reasons why martial arts is often a better choice than a
    generic gym membership, so if you are interested in challenging yourself and reaching new heights of health and wellness, then consider signing up for a martial arts
    class near you. The solution taken by the Pro-teams is to install themselves somewhere in southern Europe where road conditions, climate and
    geography allow them to prepare adequately
    for the racing season. Their best reward will come
    when they’re in front and see the line coming up fast in front of them.