A retired electrician is suing the University after he was exposed to asbestos there over 20 years ago.
Albert Carder’s case is currently being heard at London’s High Court, where the 85 year old is seeking substantial damages.
His exposure to asbestos has left him with chronic respiratory problems that leave him housebound due to lung disease.
Although Mr. Carder’s work at Exeter only represents a small fraction of his working life, his employers were uninsured – meaning the only way he can seek compensation is against the university.
Exeter University admits it breached its duty as an employer, but its lawyers argue the exposure at Exeter would have made little difference to his condition.
Susannah Keogh, News Editor