Exeter, Devon UK • Sep 23, 2023 • VOL XII

My third year bucket list

by Editors

So, I’m now reaching the twilight moments of my English degree at Exeter University with only a few months left, and I’ve actually managed to squeeze in a few activities in between all the books, banter and booze (at least one of those is actually true). For those of you who don’t know me, I’m the Editor of this website (for those who do know me, I don’t know how either). I also host and produce a gaming radio show on Wednesday nights at 6PM with a spot of intramural football and netball on the side. Much of how I have spent my time amongst Devon’s rolling hills I’d thoroughly recommend to first and second years, but there’s still plenty I’d like to be getting on with before I move all my stuff back to Portsmouth for the final time.

Explore Devon (properly)

Photo Credit: wikimedia.org

Photo Credit: wikimedia.org

I dare say this is an oversight many students are guilty of; it’s easy to simply journey to uni, Morrisons and your club/pub of choice and leave it there. But, needless to say, Devon has so much to offer beyond this. If you haven’t already, make sure you visit the beautiful beaches of Exmouth with a portion of fish and chips. Also, make sure you sample the quaint pubs of Topsham, and explore the fascinating history and culture of nearby Totnes. You don’t even need to leave Exeter to see the joys your surroundings have to offer: if you’re unfamiliar with The Glorious Art House, The Bikeshed Theatre, Tea on the Green or The Exeter Picturehouse then make sure you check these places out at least once before you go.

Make the most of the degree

Now this is for third years like myself, and may sound like sacrilege given the workload we have on. Granted, in the early hours of an all-nighter, with a dissertation forever looming, at the same time, things can get pretty hectic. Nevertheless, if you enjoy your course — and didn’t just do the degree mummy and daddy said you should — then you should savour the chance to study and research your passions. Personally, this year, I’ve managed to get away with studying comic books, detective fiction with a dissertation on Game of Thrones thrown in for good measure, so I’ll be making sure I appreciate this before I glide effortlessly into my dream job after I graduate. Or, all the more likely, I’ll take up the checkout seat currently being warmed for me back at my local Waitrose.

Get more involved with societies

Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung/Exeposé

Photo Credit: Edwin Yeung/Exeposé

This is a piece of advice to bear in mind throughout uni life. The extracurricular stuff I’ve done in Exeter, from student media to Real Ale Soc, Game of Thrones Soc and intramural sport have been my favourite experiences here. There’s something for everyone and, if you’re approaching your final year especially, there’s no better opportunity than to join that society you were always thinking of joining. Meet like-minded people outside your halls and course and have a lot of fun doing it. And, of course, the best society you can possibly join is Exeposé: it’s only a fiver! No I’m not biased, how dare you suggest such a thing.

Spend time with friends

It’s easy to get distracted by all you commitments — some of which you’ll have if you’ve followed any of my previous advice, sorry — but it’s always important to remember that many people you’ve met over the course of the past few years, you’ll never see again. Of course, that bezzie from the room next to you in halls that you’ve clung to ever since day one might not be going anywhere fast, but it’s important to set aside time in your busy schedules to make the most of the friendships you’ve made that you might not necessarily pursue after uni. And, here’s a cracking idea: how about you kill two birds with one stone and work on ideas one and three and do them with your friends together. Or don’t: I managed just fine if it helps.