Oh how very ‘Exetah’ of me, avocado? But how about we put aside the stereotypes for a minute and appreciate that they are simply delicious, nutritious and as it turns out, super versatile. So if you are keen to keep the Exeter image going but do not know quite what to do with them, or you are simply bored of your avocado and want some inspiration, here are a few ideas to satisfy your taste-buds…
Baked Egg and Avocado
I discovered this beautiful combination a few weeks ago and never looked back. This recipe is perfect as an afternoon snack, or breakfast, it is packed with protein thanks to the eggs and satisfies those avocado cravings.
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Eggs
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Sprinkle of Paprika (optional)
- Preheat the oven to around 200°. Halve the avocado and remove the stone, then carve out a third of the flesh so it makes a bigger hole in the middle (big enough for an egg).
- Crack the eggs in the middle of the avocado – note you might want to use a small egg as when I first tried it with a large, white went all over the sides!
- Simply season as required. I add a bit of paprika to mine for a nice kick, but you could always add a few dried herbs for a different taste.
- Pop it in the oven for around 15-20 minutes (if you prefer your yolk to be a bit runnier, try cooking for only 10-15) and enjoy!
This is not so much a recipe as it is a tip – avocado in smoothies is revolutionary. While it does not add much more to the taste (the other ingredients do that), the avocado makes any smoothie thick and creamy without having to add unhealthy alternatives such as yoghurt or milk. Here is a recipe you could try…
- ½ Avocado
- Handful of frozen mango
- Handful of leafy greens (spinach or kale works best)
- 1 banana
- Squeeze of honey
- Blend the leafy greens with the water for the base
- Add all the other ingredients, blend again and bask in how healthy you look without compromising on taste.
Avocado Chocolate Mousse
For those of you who have a bit of a sweet tooth, here is something a little more indulgent, and lets all agree it can count towards our five-a-day, probably. Now this serves 6 so adjust accordingly, or don’t – I would quite happily eat it all in one sitting.
- 150g dark chocolate
- 2 large avocados
- 2 tbsp coca powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract/ vanilla paste
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 160g coconut cream
- Place a bowl over a pan of simmering water, break the chocolate into the bowl, allow to melt and then set aside to cool.
- While it is melting, halve and stone the avocados and scoop the flesh in to a food processor or blender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend for a few seconds.
- Pour in the cooled chocolate and blend again until smooth
- Divide the mixture into six small bowls and then chill for at least 30 minutes and enjoy!