Home News Exeposé wins coveted Mind award

Exeposé wins coveted Mind award

Exeposé has been awarded the coveted Student Journalist of the Year award at the 2016 Virgin Money Giving Mind Media Awards.

The award was presented to the paper by Jeremy Paxman and Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff on the 14th November at the Troxy Theatre. Mind commended Exeposé for “encouraging students at their university to seek help for their mental health” whilst spreading “awareness, support and tackling the stigma of speaking out (particularly for men).”

Alongside this, former Features Editor Sophie Harrison was commended for sharing “her story regarding her struggles seeking help.”

Exeposé was one of just four shortlisted entries in the Student Journalist category, awarded in memory of Anna Sargent.

Former Editors James Beeson and Sarah Gough, alongside former Deputy Editors Eamonn Crowe and Josh Mines and former News Editor Fiona Potigny, collected the award on the behalf of the newspaper.

Speaking to Exeposé after the ceremony, Sarah Gough commented that “it was such a wonderful shock to win the student journalist award at the Mind Media Awards last night. None of us were prepared for quite how star studded and moving the night would be. We really worked to cover mental health In it’s many aspects last year and the award was lovely recognition for all the hard work.”

“Being a student is tough; there are never-ending pressures and we wanted Exeposé to reflect our readerships and investigate how well the university was coping with the demand for mental health support. Winning the award was a true team effort and we must only continue to work together to battle the stigmas around mental health.”

Exeposé’s Mental Health coverage has obtained several plaudits throughout the past year, with Exeposé winning Runner-Up for Best Feature at the 2016 Student Publication Association National Conference for ‘The Mind Can’t Man Up‘, and Sophie Harrison’s interview with Norman Lamb on mental health equality being shortlisted for Best Interview.

Other winners at the awards included ‘My Mad Fat Diary’ for Drama, ITV Central for News & Current Affairs, and rapper Professor Green for Making a Difference.