I was raised the right way by my parents. I know that’s a bold claim, but I was raised with good values; a love of food and a deep appreciation for anything that’s free. For most students that’s what home means: free food. I won’t lie, my parents are great cooks and I enjoy the luxury of not stressing about the price of Cathedral Cheddar. I can relax at home, which is both a blessing and a curse over Easter when I’m meant to be revising. But let’s look past free cheese before I go into a Homer Simpson style food fueled daydream.

For most students that’s what home means: free food.

I love going home for the holidays, I have never understood people who dread those orange tickets that lead there. There’s something about those bilingual signs that welcome me home at Severn Tunnel Junction that makes me so irrationally happy. Home is somewhere I can be my full Welsh self with my family and just unwind.

Despite having a little brother there are no stressful housemates to deal with and there’s always toilet paper.

Despite having a little brother there are no stressful housemates to deal with and there’s always toilet paper. There are small things that just make home the best place to be. I enjoy switching off uni mode for a while and just spending time with my family, who I usually am very fond of.

Bear in mind I’ve lived in Cardiff my whole life, so I know it so well. Seeing the familiar streets, shops and monuments bring back a kind of childish reminiscence, which is often needed after a stressful term at university, where I feel like my life is spiraling towards nothing but a dull office job… I mean… when I’m a little stressed about work… It’s so nice to be in the city where I grew up. It’s not really a feeling I can explain, but I know so many people will know what I mean.

Seeing the familiar streets, shops and monuments bring back a kind of childish reminiscence, which is often needed after a stressful term at university.

I know there are those for whom home isn’t the same safe zone it is for me. I guess what is important to remember is that home is different for everyone. It can be anything and it can be anyone; it’s about feeling safe and relaxed… But I will be forever grateful for free cheese.

I guess what is important to remember is that home is different for everyone.

Oh, and if my parents are reading this, you know me well enough to know I love you guys, but you raised me right.