Home News Biosciences win award for gender equality

Biosciences win award for gender equality

The Department of Biosciences has won the bronze Athena SWAN award for their efforts to combat gender inequality in the department.

The ECU (Equality Challenge Unit) Athena SWAN Charter was established in 2005 to encourage higher education and research facilities to promote gender equality within their departments.

The award focuses on the representation of women with careers in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine.

The Charter looks at the progression of students into academia and the representation of women in these roles, and the presence of a working environment available for all staff. It is based on ten principles which institutions must adopt within their practices.

This includes making an active effort to tackle the gender pay gap as well as the discriminatory treatment and obstacles that many women face at major points in their career.

Dr Robert Wilson, who led the application process, said: “The Bronze Award recognises that we are taking steps to create a better, fairer and more inclusive working environment.”

“By tackling practices that have a disproportionate impact on female staff and student, we aim to ensure that working practice is improved to the benefit of all.”

The department hopes to continue its progress by aspiring to attain the silver Athena SWAN award by 2021. This will mean encouraging and enhancing the careers of women in the department so that they have the opportunity to reach their full potential.

The award stands as an example of how the representation of women in scientific careers is improving, and by following these key principles this sets a target for higher education institutions to continue to aim for in the future.

The University of Glasgow will hold the ECU Athena Swan award ceremony this month, and a representative from the department will accept the award.