Home News University of Exeter joins visa pilot scheme

University of Exeter joins visa pilot scheme

The University of Exeter has recently been selected to take part in a Home Office pilot scheme which helps to streamline the Masters application process for international students looking to study in the UK.
Run by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) department, the pilot simplifies the UK’s points-based visa system for overseas students. The scheme applies to postgraduate Masters degrees lasting no longer than 13 months, which includes most taught programmes such as MA and MSc degrees.
As a result, the Universities chosen are given responsibility for eligibility checks, meaning fewer documents have to be submitted as part of the application process. The scheme also aims to provide greater support for students who would like to switch to a work visa in order to accept a graduate role, by allowing them to remain in the UK six months after the completion of their course. Eligibility is not restricted to specific countries or nationalities.
Ian Blenkharn, Director of Education and Student Support at the University of Exeter explained how the scheme would benefit Exeter students.
“We have students from 130 different countries across our campuses in Devon and Cornwall and our participation in the Tier 4 visa pilot will enable us to provide a more streamlined and student-friendly route through the immigration process.”
Exeter was one of 23 Universities invited to join the scheme, including other Russell Group names such as Cardiff, Durham and Southampton. All were selected because their visa refusal rates are consistently the lowest in their area or region.
The Students’ Guild said: “We are incredibly proud and supportive of the visa pilot scheme here at the Guild as it will help reflect our core values of support and inclusivity for all our student members, current and prospective. We look forward to giving our international, postgraduate students more opportunities to study, work and enjoy the student experience here at Exeter”
The expansion of the scheme comes at a time when the number of students applying for visas has increased by 8 percent in the past year, as shown by Home Office statistics, with a 9 per cent increase in the number of students applying to Russell Group Universities. The Universities selected will be able to apply the pilot to their upcoming 2018/19 intake.